The Official RONR Q & A Forums

legal ramification?

Guest imaguest

Hello, my question is if there are possible legal ramifications when a member of the governing body tries to misrepresent or change the wording, in the minutes, of a motion that carried? I believe there is manipulation by the Exec committee of my council. In particular the minutes were manipulated to chage the wording of a motion.

I know the general membership still has to approve the minutes, but there was an attempt to do this by email without discussion and the motion was changed to mean something entirely different. Thhis could havew succeeded. Are the people involved in this putting themselves in legal jeapordy outside of the council?

Hello, my question is if there are possible legal ramifications when a member of the governing body tries to misrepresent or change the wording, in the minutes, of a motion that carried? I believe there is manipulation by the Exec committee of my council. In particular the minutes were manipulated to chage the wording of a motion.

I know the general membership still has to approve the minutes, but there was an attempt to do this by email without discussion and the motion was changed to mean something entirely different. Thhis could havew succeeded. Are the people involved in this putting themselves in legal jeapordy outside of the council?

Legal questions should be addressed to an attorney.

Needless to say, the minutes should not be used to re-write history. See also FAQ #20 if you think it's time to get rid of this "member of the governing body".

... if there are possible legal ramifications ...

Are you asking a question about state law or federal law? About I.R.S. 501c(3) regulations?

We do not answer legal questions.

... a member of the governing body tries to misrepresent or change the wording, in the minutes, of a motion that carried.

What do you mean, "a member"? - Minutes are written by a secretary. Is this "the member" to whom you refer?

Minutes are approved by majority vote or by unanimous consent. - No individual can possibly override a majority vote (or unanimous consent).

So how is this alteration of minutes occurring?

I believe there is manipulation by the Exec committee of my council. In particular the minutes were manipulated to change the wording of a motion.

How? What kind of "manipulation" are you referring to? Is this BEFORE approval or AFTER approval of the minutes? How did they get their hands on the minutes of a separate body?

I know the general membership still has to approve the minutes ...

Wait a minute. - Not true.

You just mentioned other bodies: (a.) "governing body"; (b.) "council"; (c.) "executive committee".

Q. Which body generated the minutes in question?

If #a or #b or #c, then the general membership has no say regarding the minutes of bodies #a, #b, #c.

... but there was an attempt to do this by email ...

kg: Impossible.

... without discussion, and the motion was changed to mean something entirely different.

kg: You can't change minutes by e-mail.

What you are describing is impossible, in the way you are describing.

This could have succeeded.

"Could have"?

Do you mean, no minutes were changed?

Are the people involved in this putting themselves in legal jeopardy outside of the council?

kg: A legal question? - Consult a lawyer for answers to legal question.

Q. Do you have a question about Robert's Rules of Order? About parliamentary procedure?

Archived