The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion on table, member removed

Guest martha

How should this be worded....

Superintendent XXX presented a secondary schedule review charge statement to the board for a first reading on May 10, 2010. A committee roster that includes the high school principal, middle school principals, the Director of Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment, along with teacher, parent and school board representatives, along with a timeline was presented.

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXX to approve the secondary schedule review charge statement, as requested.

A motion was made by XXX to table the approval of the secondary schedule review charge statement.

Voting in favor: XXXXXX

Voting against: XXXXX

Motion carried: 4 – 3

A study session on the topic will be held on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 at 6:00 p.m.

I am going to strike through those parts that shouldn't be in the minutes and in brackets why.

Superintendent XXX presented a secondary schedule review charge statement to the board for a first reading on May 10, 2010 [The beginning of the minutes should be reflecting the date the meeting is held so noting it again is not necessary]. A committee roster that includes the high school principal, middle school principals, the Director of Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment, along with teacher, parent and school board representatives, along with a timeline was presented.

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXX [seconds aren't required to be in the minutes] to approve the secondary schedule review charge statement, as requested.

A motion was made by XXX to table the approval of the secondary schedule review charge statement.

Motion carried: 4 – 3 [Who voted which way and what the vote total was should only be done when taken by Roll Call vote.]

How should this be worded....

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXX to approve the secondary schedule review charge statement, as requested.

Motion carried: 4 – 3

Why tinker too much?

Why tinker too much?

However, the motion is really undefined unless the entire text of the "secondary schedule review charge statement" is included in the minutes, e.g. "A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXX to approve the secondary schedule review charge statement (Statement attached as Appendix I).

I see minutes with similarly meaningless stuff as "John moved to approve the budget. Passed unanimously." (Unanimous is not needed but a copy of the budget is.)

-Bob

I am going to strike through those parts that shouldn't be in the minutes and in brackets why.

Motion carried: 4 – 3 [Who voted which way and what the vote total was should only be done when taken by Roll Call vote.]

The vote total would also be included if the vote was counted or by ballot. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 453, lines 31-32) Also, since this is a public body, it's quite possible the vote was taken by roll call. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 405, lines 17-20)

I have a suspicion that you mean "postpone" rather than "table." See FAQ #12.

Other than that, I agree with Mr. Mervosh and Mr. Fish.

Archived