The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the chair set Recess without a motion?

Guest John

I'd add that the Chair should (but does not have to) suggest a length of time for the recess. For example, the Chair could state "If there is no objection, we will recess for 10 minutes. (pause) We are in recess."

Some Chiars that I know of, especially at long meetings, will add a statement of why they are recessing the meeting - for example, "If there is no objection, we will recess for 10 minutes in order to stretch our legs (i.e. in other words, so that members have a chance to go to the washroom). (pause) We are in recess."

After the "We are in recess", if there are refreshments available (coffee, tea, water, etc.), the Chair may add something to the effect of "Refreshments are available by the door."

If you are having a long meeting, a good Chairman should ask for a short recess. People will nedd to use the washroom and may become restless if there is not a brief break in the meeting.

Not unilaterally.

But he CAN use general consent: "If there is no objection will will recess. (pause, wait for any objection). We are in recess."

If it is the suggestion that the chairman should assume a motion or assume a unanimous consent request to Recess, outside of a small board or committee, I disagree. See RONR, Off. Interp. 2007-1, www.robertsrules.com.

Pay particular attention to:

The chair's ability to "assume" a motion that has not actually been made by another member exists to facilitate the business of the assembly, not to give the chair an opportunity to make a motion whose consideration he or she, as an individual member, believes would be desirable. Assuming a motion, rather than waiting or calling for the motion to be made, is appropriate as a means of saving the time of the assembly when it is obvious that the motion is necessary or appropriate in light of the pending business.

Can the chair, the head of the meeting set Recess without a motion?

"If a recess is provided for in the adopted agenda or program of a convention or other meeting, the chair, without further action by the assembly, announces the fact and simply declares the meeting in recess when the specified time arrives." (RONR, p. 224)

Otherwise, recess is a main motion if nothing is pending, or a privileged motion if something is.

Stand at ease, on the other hand, is when "the chair, without objection, simply permits a brief pause, without a declaration of recess." (RONR, p. 80)

Archived