The Official RONR Q & A Forums

state advisory board

Guest jo

I would like to know if a state appointed advisory board is subject to the rules as they relate to an organization - Ie the chairman can or cannot speak on a particular topic without giving up the chair for the discussion.. Also, does the chairman have the right to vote on a topic that doesn't require a tie breaking vote

I would like to know if a state appointed advisory board is subject to the rules as they relate to an organization - Ie the chairman can or cannot speak on a particular topic without giving up the chair for the discussion.. Also, does the chairman have the right to vote on a topic that doesn't require a tie breaking vote

Your questions should be addressed to an attorney or your state representative.

Anything RONR has to say (see FAQ #1) would be superseded ("overruled") by your laws.

... i.e., the chairman can or cannot speak on a particular topic without giving up the chair for the discussion.

Q. Is the above rule your organization's customized rule?

Note that Robert's Rules of Order's rule for a small board is different. - The chair votes and debates, and is often the most active member.

If the above rule is your own unique rule, then someone will have to read the rule for context. - Maybe it applies, and maybe it doesn't apply, for all sub-assemblies of the organization.

The rule could be ambiguous, too. - Wording is crucial.

Archived