The Official RONR Q & A Forums

presonal notations in minutes

Guest Capricious1

At our last meeting, after voting on an issue, one board member wanted a personal notation added to the minutes justifying how she voted. Is that allowable?

Allowable? Yes.

Entertain a motion, "That the minutes include ____ " (whatever it is you want included).

Vote in favor of the motion, and it's a done deal.

Vote in opposition of the motion, and it's done, even if not in favor of the maker of the motion.

Although, if the member is serious (i.e. not just doing it because he/she wants to, or if he/she always does so), then I do agree. It can makea difference at election time (politically), or if the decision ends up going to court (legally.) RONR does not prevent a member from wishing to make sure that the records (i.e. the Minutes) are accurate.

RONR does not prevent a member from wishing to make sure that the records (i.e. the Minutes) are accurate.

No, RONR does not prevent a member from wishing.

However the assembly should reject the request to include a member's "justification" for a vote in the minutes. The minutes are accurate without it.

It can makea difference at election time (politically), or if the decision ends up going to court (legally.)

While I agree that the board should include the justification if it is needed for some legal reason, I disagree that political posturing is a valid reason. If the member felt that the membership should know how the board voted on the issue, he should have moved for a roll call vote rather than just trying to get his own vote in the minutes. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 405, lines 13-20)

Although ultimately, of course, it will be up to the board to determine what constitutes a valid reason.

Allowable? Yes.

Entertain a motion, "That the minutes include ____ " (whatever it is you want included).

Vote in favor of the motion, and it's a done deal.

Vote in opposition of the motion, and it's done, even if not in favor of the maker of the motion.

Kim, where in RONR can I find that information? I just know I wll be questioned about what everyone has replied here. Can you give me a page or topic area to look it up please?

Kim, where in RONR can I find that information? I just know I wll be questioned about what everyone has replied here. Can you give me a page or topic area to look it up please?

Rules regarding content of the minutes can be found in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 451-457. While this particular topic is not addressed, it is the opinion of some on this forum (myself included) that the assembly may order additional content in the minutes as an incidental motion, by majority vote. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 66, line 13 - pg. 67, line 13)

This is, however, a point of some debate. Others have asserted that including additional content in the minutes beyond the rules of RONR requires a suspension of the rules, which needs a 2/3 vote. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 256, lines 13-24)

If anyone is asserting that the inclusion of the notation in the minutes cannot be done at all, or that a single member may demand its inclusion, he won't find any support for those opinions on this forum or in RONR.

..... justifying how she voted. Is that allowable?

.... If the member felt that the membership should know how the board voted on the issue, he should have moved for a roll call vote rather than just trying to get his own vote in the minutes.

Perhaps it's the poster's choice of word, but these seems less about getting her vote recorded, but more about "justifying" her vote. That seems more along the line of debate. Can that be allowed, even with assembly's majority vote?

Perhaps it's the poster's choice of word, but these seems less about getting her vote recorded, but more about "justifying" her vote. That seems more along the line of debate. Can that be allowed, even with assembly's majority vote?

I think it could be ordered by a majority vote. While I don't think a request to include the justification is dilatory I would probably never vote to grant that request unless I was given a darn good reason for doing it.

Archived