The Official RONR Q & A Forums

replacement of board members mid season

Guest Shannon

I needed clarification: When a leagues by-laws states elections will be held in a certain month "Novemeber" and the board has been selected and positioned taken - then in May/June 2 board members leave - I believe the board members "spots" remain closed until the following elections in November - am I correct? The board functions with just 2 bodies less - correct. Another question - If the president resigns - the vice becomes acting president - if he/she does not want to stay in that position the board must elect a new president from the existing board - correct - or does the vice have to assume responsibility and then elect a vice president?? Thank you.

First question: Read your league bylaws. They should specify any procedure to fill vacancies, whether by Board appointment or special election. If the bylaws are silent the vacancies continue until the regular election.

Second question: Read your bylaws. They may specify the succession of officers. If the bylaws are silent, and you follow RONR, the VP automatically becomes President. See above for filling the VP vacancy.

I needed clarification: When a leagues by-laws states elections will be held in a certain month "Novemeber" and the board has been selected and positioned taken - then in May/June 2 board members leave - I believe the board members "spots" remain closed until the following elections in November - am I correct? The board functions with just 2 bodies less - correct. Another question - If the president resigns - the vice becomes acting president - if he/she does not want to stay in that position the board must elect a new president from the existing board - correct - or does the vice have to assume responsibility and then elect a vice president?? Thank you.

1. You should fill vacancies when they occur.

2. The vice-president becomes the president the moment the president's resignation is accepted. Her only option then is to resign as president (in which case you'd have two vacancies to fill).

Questions like this cause confusion when reading the answers, even when they're all correct. Mr. Mt. nicely points out vacancies should be filled when they occur (if possible).....and Mr. Anderson uber nails it by reminding Shannon that the members, not the Board, will likely be the ones who fill the vacancy, assuming they can even meet to do so prior to next November.

Archived