The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unilateral action by President

gshatterhand

At our last meeting, our president announced, to everyone's surprise, that he had signed up our historical society as a member of another organization. There is a membership fee of 35 to 45 dollars to join this other organization, and the president said it is up to us if we want to reimburse him or not. We couldn't deal with this at our last meeting because we did not have a quorum.

Our bylaws place all the decision making power in our Board of up to 15 trustees. The president's role is limited to conducting the meetings.

We were all kind of stunned by the president's action, inhibited by his poor health, and not certain what to say, since we didn't have a quorum anyway.

In my view, this action can't pass without at least some comment but I'm not certain what the appropriate response is under RONR.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

At our last meeting, our president announced, to everyone's surprise, that he had signed up our historical society as a member of another organization. There is a membership fee of 35 to 45 dollars to join this other organization, and the president said it is up to us if we want to reimburse him or not. We couldn't deal with this at our last meeting because we did not have a quorum.

Our bylaws place all the decision making power in our Board of up to 15 trustees. The president's role is limited to conducting the meetings.

At the next quorate meeting, you can choose to ratify the president's action (making it an official action of the assembly), or not. By his words, he seems to realize that he's personally on the hook for the money, and that there's a possibility he will NOT be reimbursed.

You could reprimand him for exceeding his authority.

If your organization does not want to be a member of the other organization, presumably your membership in the other organization could be withdrawn or cancelled.

In my view, this action can't pass without at least some comment but I'm not certain what the appropriate response is under RONR.

Your response is to make a motion. You can move to Ratify the president's action, or you can move to Censure. Both motions are debatable, so this will allow the members to speak on the subject and get their thoughts heard. Either of the motions can even be amended to become the other. So, if you move to ratify, it can be amended to censure or vice versa, at the will of the assembly. I suggest you take a look at RONR(10th ed.), p.119 - 120. Then, make one of the motions mentioned there to get the ball rolling.

(In other words, I concur with Trina, yet again.)

Your response is to make a motion. You can move to Ratify the president's action, or you can move to Censure. Both motions are debatable, so this will allow the members to speak on the subject and get their thoughts heard. Either of the motions can even be amended to become the other. So, if you move to ratify, it can be amended to censure or vice versa, at the will of the assembly. I suggest you take a look at RONR(10th ed.), p.119 - 120. Then, make one of the motions mentioned there to get the ball rolling.

(In other words, I concur with Trina, yet again.)

They wouldn't necessarily have to censure the president, but just defeat a motion to ratify his action.

Archived