The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Several Items

Guest Richard

I am a member of an Association that has a state and district levels. The Chairman/President of the district level serves on the Board at the state level. There has been discussion on what exactly the boards at both levels can do. Please read and provide your opinions.

State level:

The Board of Director shall be responsible for the business management of the Association; decide questions, make rulings and interpret matters of policy for the association; report to the Association the rules it has passed and the actions it has taken; carry out all of the provisions and duties ascribed to it by the Constitution and By-Laws. All actions shall stand unless altered by a later vote of the membership.

District level:

Board of Directors: Serves as a deliberative body in establishing policies for the District, making recommendations to the General Membership. Sets dates for each SCDBA function as outlined in Article X. Sets membership dues and student participation fees for SCDBA functions. Appoints such committees, as it deems necessary and advisable in accordance with Article VIII.

Also at the district level, we recently held elections for new officers. The current Chairman/President was re-elected for another term. A few moments after the current Chairman was nominated to be the Chairman for another term, a member asked the membership to accept by acclamation. I was asked if I knew if this was "okay" under RONR about an hour ago. Is there anything in RONR that speaks about this situation?

Thank you for your input.

If there was no other nominations offered (and no one was trying to offer one) and the bylaws don't require a ballot vote the sole nominee could be declared elected by the Chair. It would not be proper to try to close nominations to accomplish this (which I suspect was the intention). If a ballot vote is required under the bylaws you must hold the election by ballot (RONR pp. 428-429).

There is currently nothing in the bylaws that states that the vote must be by ballot. The question was that the motion to accept by acclamation occurred very quickly before another nomination could be presented (all nominations come from the floor at the meeting where elections take place).

If someone could give me their opinion if the boards at the state and district level have the following statements in their bylaws they can create/develop/establish (however you wish to state it) rules/procedures for the association without approval from the membership (of course a motion by a member at a later time the rule/procedure could be over ruled).

State level:

The Board of Director shall be responsible for the business management of the Association; decide questions, make rulings and interpret matters of policy for the association; report to the Association the rules it has passed and the actions it has taken; carry out all of the provisions and duties ascribed to it by the Constitution and By-Laws. All actions shall stand unless altered by a later vote of the membership.

District level:

Board of Directors: Serves as a deliberative body in establishing policies for the District, making recommendations to the General Membership. Sets dates for each SCDBA function as outlined in Article X. Sets membership dues and student participation fees for SCDBA functions. Appoints such committees, as it deems necessary and advisable in accordance with Article VIII.

Thanks for the responses so far! I have one follow up question in regards to the elections. If the sole nominee for Chair is the current chair, should this person have asked the Vice-Chair to handle this item of business once his name was nominated? Does RONR cover this?

Thanks for the responses so far! I have one follow up question in regards to the elections. If the sole nominee for Chair is the current chair, should this person have asked the Vice-Chair to handle this item of business once his name was nominated? Does RONR cover this?

No. It is fine for the Chair to handle the election even if he is a nominee (RONR p. 436).

Archived