The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Cancelled Meeting

vicmar75

I was just wondering how the membership would be apprised of Board action if the minutes were not read. I'm on the bylaw committee, and we would like to bring our bylaws as close to RR as possible. If reading the minutes in both meetings is NOT common practice, I was wondering what was. Thus my question.

The general practice is that a body only hears the minutes of that particular body. Folks who are on the Board are usually also General Members (but not always) so they would know what happened at the GM meeting (though a much smaller subset of General Members sit on the Board so the Membership as a body wouldn't necessarily know what happened). But if it is desired to have GM minutes read at Board meetings and vice versa the bylaws could be amended to make it happen. Also, as I mentioned before the Membership can make the Board report to them about their activities.

The records are held in one binder, under control of the Secretary. The Secretary will more than likely NOT attend our membership meeting. We need to know if these minutes must be entered at the next Board meeting, or can we wait until the next membership meeting.

It is already in our bylaws that the Board meeting minutes be read at the General membership meetings and visa-versa.

If your Bylaws require that minutes of the general membership be read at meetings of the board, then I suppose you will need to get the minutes to the Secretary by the next board meeting, in order to comply with your Bylaws.

Archived