The Official RONR Q & A Forums

secret ballot results

Guest linda

Our dog club had an election yesterday, at our annual membership meeting the only thing reported to the membership after the vote was the winners of each office/board position.

It was my belief that the results with number of votes for each should have been made public at that meeting. We are told the only way the membership can get results is by writing a letter and requesting the results.

Not covered in by-laws.

Our dog club had an election yesterday, at our annual membership meeting the only thing reported to the membership after the vote was the winners of each office/board position.

It was my belief that the results with number of votes for each should have been made public at that meeting. We are told the only way the membership can get results is by writing a letter and requesting the results.

Not covered in by-laws.

Not necessarily made public, but RONR says that those results are announced to the assembly. Who told you this about writing a letter?

Are the ballets always "secret" under Roberts Rules???

Yes.

Although RONR does refer to something called a "signed ballot", a ballot vote is, by definition, a secret vote. But that does not mean that the number of votes each candidate receives is secret, just that no one should know how an individual voter voted.

Not covered in by-laws.

So, was this a ballot vote? and who counted the ballots? and who reported the result to the Chair?

And by the way, was the election held during the annual membership meeting? (Your phraseology leaves me wondering a wee tad)

Archived