The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Donations

Guest Kathy

As President of our organization, I recently requested a donation be made to a sister organization, reciprocating a donation made by them to ours. I was at a Leadership Summit out of town at the time. The request was time sensitive. Our Vice President has written the following message to the Board:

"I know it's procedural but donations should be presented at meetings and voted upon. For future reference. Roberts rules."

I would like to know where and how Robert's Rules of Order apply here. Thank you.

As President of our organization, I recently requested a donation be made to a sister organization, reciprocating a donation made by them to ours.

I was at a Leadership Summit out of town at the time.

The request was time sensitive.

Our Vice President has written the following message to the Board:

"I know it's procedural but donations should be presented at meetings and voted upon. For future reference. Roberts rules."

I would like to know where and how Robert's Rules of Order apply here.

"I was at a Leadership Summit out of town at the time."

There's one problem. - You made a unilateral decision which the organization never acknowledged and never approved.

"The request was time sensitive."

That's not a justification. That is an excuse. You still acted without permission.

You won't find such powers of "donation" (i.e., spending money of the organization without authorization) anywhere in the 700+ pages of RONR Tenth Edition 2000.

That's probably what your VP was referring to.

Thank you. I owe the Board an apology and feel I should offer to pay for the donation myself. I appreciate your clarification.

The action could be ratified. I'm not sure to whom you made the request. If they don't feel that the donation was appropriate, you would be responsible for it.

(And if anyone wishes to buy me a Mercedes, I'll accept.) ;)

The action could be ratified. I'm not sure to whom you made the request. If they don't feel that the donation was appropriate, you would be responsible for it....

Well, you know, what ACTION did Kathy actually take? From her original post, she made a request. If she actually committed her organization to the donation, without a meeting and vote, then she just has to hope the organization ratifies. However, if she just requested/suggested from afar, where's the violation?

Archived