The Official RONR Q & A Forums

married couple holding president and vice president position

Guest g

we have a married couple holding president and vice president position of our PTA. Should we try to change that as it seems as a conflict of interest

Change it, by what means? You can certainly try to 'change it' when the next election comes around, by working not to elect the two of them again. In the short term, though, no rules in RONR have been broken by the election of a married couple.

Should we try to change that as it seems as a conflict of interest

That's up to your organization. Personally, however, while I can see how it may become a conflict of interest for particular motions (in which case they should abstain, but cannot be compelled to), I do not see how it is a conflict of interest in all cases. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 394, lines 15-25) I don't see how their marriage would be relevant to the vast majority of motions.

I would also note the only way to change it would be to wait until the next election or to amend your Bylaws.

We have a married couple holding president and vice president position of our PTA.

Should we try to change that, as it seems as a conflict of interest.

Q. If the VOTERS THEMSELVES had no problem with this arrangement (assuming that the P and VP got there the old fashioned way), then why should you, now, after the fact, worry?

Q. What is wrong with having (a.) spouses; (b.) ex-spouses; (c.) siblings; (d.) cousins; etc., serve on the same board simultaneously?

(It violates no rule in Robert's Rules of Order.)

we have a married couple holding president and vice president position of our PTA. Should we try to change that as it seems as a conflict of interest

I agree with others that this violates no rule in RONR. Voters often don't think of problems that may arise in these situations. One possible problem is that the couple may travel together and miss meetings -- or for other reasons, both will be absent from the same meeting(s). These situations sometimes leave the organization without the vice-president's presence when the president is absent. Of course, it's up to the voters to decide the wisdom of the couple serving together.

Voters often don't think of problems that may arise in these situations. One possible problem is that the couple may travel together and miss meetings -- or for other reasons, both will be absent from the same meeting(s). These situations sometimes leave the organization without the vice-president's presence when the president is absent.

That sounds like a legitimate concern, but I wouldn't describe it as a "conflict of interest." It seems to me the poster has something else in mind.

Archived