The Official RONR Q & A Forums

does chair need to know "new business" before meeting

Guest Steve

The chair of our meeting wants to know what "new business" will be brought up before the meeting begins. I think the chair wants to be able to disarm "new business" by knowing ahead of time what will be brought up. In order to follow RONR, how should we bring up "new business"? Ahead of time or during the "new business" part of the meeting as appears in the meeting agenda? Many thanks. ---Steve---

In a regular meeting, provided any required previous notice has been validly given, a member is at liberty to obtain the floor when the New Business heading has been reached in the established order of business and no other question is pending to introduce a new topic by making the appropriate main motion.

I mean that the chair wants to avoid any public discourse on topics that they don't agree with or which might be uncomfortable for a department head to address.

Judging by your interpretation of the Chair's expected behavior, it may also be time to review Chapter XX in THE BOOK, as well as take a look at FAQ #20. Just a thought.....<_<

Judging by your interpretation of the Chair's expected behavior, it may also be time to review Chapter XX in THE BOOK, as well as take a look at FAQ #20. Just a thought.....dry.gif

Well, I'm doubtful that an education department faculty group is a deliberative assembly to which the parliamentary law principally applies.

The relationship between the department head and the others seems to me to be more in the nature of a superior-to-inferiors--more like a boss and his direct reports.

After he said "local government," I was under the opposite impression - that this is a City Council meeting and the department heads answer to the council. But apparently the chair is buddies with the department heads and wants to cover for them.

Only Steve knows for sure.

Archived