The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Do you have to vote when making a Friendly?

Guest John

When making a Friendly to a Bill, do you have to vote on it?

If you're referring to a "friendly amendment" to a pending motion, [a] there really is no such thing (an amendment is an amendment, friendly or hostile) and, you don't have to vote for it (or at all) but you shouldn't speak against it in debate.

I think of a friendly amedment as one that can be adopted by general or unanimous consent.

So no you don't have to vote on it if no one objects.

And if only everyone thought that way the parliamentary world would be a better place.

Unfortunately, what most people have in mind with the term "friendly amendment" is an amendment which the motion maker agrees to. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 154, lines 24-35)

And if only everyone thought that way the parliamentary world would be a better place.

Actually, the parliamentary world probably would be a better place if everyone simply dropped the term "friendly amendment" and stuck to just "amendment." Any amendment "can be adopted by general or unanimous consent," as long as no one objects. Otherwise, a vote is required (except, of course, if the maker of the motion agrees to the amendment before it is placed before the assembly).

...Otherwise, a vote is required (except, of course, if the maker of the motion agrees to the amendment before it is placed before the assembly).

I assume the antecedent to 'it' is the entire motion, not the amendment; sorry, but I'm getting the image of the would-be-amender privately whispering in the ear of the maker of the motion, while debate on the motion is already going on around them :) .

I assume the antecedent to 'it' is the entire motion, not the amendment; sorry, but I'm getting the image of the would-be-amender privately whispering in the ear of the maker of the motion, while debate on the motion is already going on around them :) .

Yes; of coure. I should have made it more clear that I meant before the main motion is placed before the assembly. I suppose "privately whispering in the ear of the maker of the motion, while debate on the motion is already going on" would violate no rule in RONR, but by that point, any proposed amendment resulting from such private consultation would have to be agreed to by general consent or adopted by vote.

Archived