The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Authority of Officers/Executive Board

Guest Rugratd

I may have the wording wrong, but I know somewhere in Roberts Rules there's a statement with concern to the officers/board of the organization conducting business in the name of the organizations with rewpect to normal day-to-day operations, but must bring it to the table at the next (as in our case- annual) meeting.

I can't find the reference I'm looking for - can anyone direct me to it?

I may have the wording wrong, but I know somewhere in Roberts Rules there's a statement with concern to the officers/board of the organization conducting business in the name of the organizations with rewpect to normal day-to-day operations, but must bring it to the table at the next (as in our case- annual) meeting.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 464-466 for Boards. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 468 for Executive Committees. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 492, l. 28 - p. 493, l. 24 for Board Reports.

If the board or officers exceed their authority they may attempt to have the action ratified by the general membership, if that is what you're referring to. (RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 118-120)

If the board or officers have the authority under the Bylaws to take the action in question, however, no approval from the general membership is required, although the general membership may still rescind the action. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 466, lines 7-14)

Archived