The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Immediate Past President - voting?

Guest Margaret

I really wish I had an electronic version of the Roberts Rules book, as I seem to have real difficulty finding things in it!

However. My friend's organization's bylaws state: "The Immediate Past President shall be an advisor to the Board and shall attend all committee meetings as well as board meetings." The only other mention of the IPP is "There shall be an Executive Committee which shall consist of the President, [positions snipped] ... and the immediate Past President".

I believe that I've read somewhere, in the book or on this site, that if someone is a member, then they are a voting member unless the bylaws specify otherwise. Can anyone refer me to the textual authority on that? The only classifications for membership in the bylaws refer to general members, not board members. There is an explicit mention of the executive director being a non-voting member.

And yes, these bylaws are dreadful, but having the IPP will really help my friend during this current process. Bylaw amendments are underway.

RONR p. 3

A member of an assembly, in the parliamentary sense, as mentioned above, is a person having the right to full participation in its proceedings - that is, as explained in 3 and 4, the right to make motions, to speak in debate on them, and to vote. Some organized societies define different classes of "membership," not all of which may include this status. Whenever the term member is used in this book, it refers to full participating membership in the assembly unless otherwise specified. Such members are also described as "voting members" when it is necessary to make a distinction.

My friend's organization's bylaws state: "The Immediate Past President shall be an advisor to the Board and shall attend all committee meetings as well as board meetings."

That does not imply that the IPP is a member of the board (in fact, it seems to suggest he is not).

The only other mention of the IPP is "There shall be an Executive Committee which shall consist of the President, [positions snipped] ... and the immediate Past President".

That does say that the IPP is a member of the executive committee (with all the usual rights of membership).

Archived