The Official RONR Q & A Forums

re-vote

Guest Guest - Question

Guest Guest - Question

Background: My committee (for simplicity, call "A") interviews political candidates who request endorsements from various non-profit groups such as this one. At each meeting we interview and hold discussions afterwards. Following the discussions, the chair asks for any motions. So, a member makes a motion to approve and another seconds the motion. Then we take a vote by show of hands. If A's votes are to recommend, then A formerly notifies the next committe above us (for simplicity, call "B"). At the close of our past meeting, the discussion ran long as the committee members admitted that they were torn between two candidates. It was decided to take the vote on each interviewee, one at a time since they were all for the same position. The vote was taken: All but one member voted for the first one - I abstained from voting for the person as I was not confident in the person being the best candidate. I was not sure of which candidate to back but certain members pushed to get the vote done. The chair said that the person would be sent as recommended by A to B. B has not been formerly notified of A's recommendation yet. Once the notification is made, B will either approve or disapprove our recommendation. I re-evaluated what was said during the interviews and what was discussed. At the meeting I was not sure which candidate to back. But, now I am sure that the other candidate being considered will be the best. I double-checked our rules and procedures governing our meetings and votes. Both are silent regarding re-votes. It states that Robert's Rules apply wherever the rules are silent. It actually states that we do not need to be so formal as to have motions, seconds, etc. and yet we have so far been doing that. So . . .

Question: Since the formal notice did not get sent yet to B from A, may I ask the Chair to do a re-vote at our next meeting (if it still has not been sent by the next meeting)?

Guest Guest Question

In general:

In a committee, it is in order to move To Reconsider if you abstained (or if you voted on the prevailing side).

So, the motion To Reconsider is in order for you.

Also in order is a motion To Rescind (the endorsement).

Kim,

Your advice helps me a lot.

Thank you very much.

Guest Guest Question

A motion whose authorized actions have not been carried out can often be rescinded or otherwise amended.

H. Wm. Mountcastle,

Both you and Kim Goldsworthy have helped to clarify for me what action to take and why it may be done.

Thank you very much.

Archived