The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Committee Chairman (elected or appointed)

rwuarchguy

My small club has in its bylaws that standing committee chairmen (as well as the officiers) are part of the executive committee. I goes on to say that Members of the executive committee shall remain until their successors are elected. Doesnt this mean that the chairman of the standing committees are elected by the membership at the annual elections? For background info. we also have a section about special committees that are appointed by the membership when a special need/event is discussed. Now to me standing committees are ones that exist to run programs and/or maintain the equipment of said programs or activities even if those programs/activities are seasonal. Special committees on the other hand are ones that exist for signal one time per term events or to collect information and present reports to the membership.

... that standing committee chairmen (as well as the officers) are part of the executive committee.

... that Members of the executive committee shall remain until their successors are elected.

Doesn't this mean that the chairman of the standing committees are elected by the membership at the annual elections?

No. - There is no logical connection between one thing and the other, necessarily.

For example, it is entirely possible for your two rules to be worded in a manner similar to my example:

1. The P appoints standing committee chairmen.

2. Standing Committee chairmen are members of the Executive Committee.

See?

When/If the P un-appoints a St. Comm. chairman, the new St. Comm. chairmen instantly and automatically sits on the Executive Committee. - That is, UNTIL A SUCCESSOR IS ELECTED, just like your rule. Here, the P does all the "electing", in my sample.

Thus my caution that one thing does not imply the other.

It depends on the interplay between the various rules.

Don't take one single rule out of context of the rest of the rules.

You have to read the bylaws in their entirety like others are saying. If there is anywhere in the bylaws that states anything about how the standing committee chairmen obtain those positions then that is the way it is. If like it my example there is no explaination as to how the standing committee is elected/appointed other then that they are on the executive committee until their successor is elected then like in my situation it has always been tradition in the organization to elect them during elections due to the nature of standing committee chairmen being necessary to run programs and/or maintain equipment for programs that run every year unlike special committees that are formed for something like researching information or organizing a one time event even when said event happens every year.

Archived