The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Prayer in a Business Meeting

jester0830

I am President-Elect of a professional organization. There is no mention in our charter, by-laws or other governing documents that have any religious affiliation. Currently we begin some of our "event" meetings (breakfast & speaker for example) with an invocation. Once at a holiday party a very religion specific prayer was offered prior to dinner.

I have gently tried to ask that if we do offer a prayer that it be at least generic in nature but then I have begun wondering if it's appropriate at all, especially when we co-sponsor an event with another professional group.

I would like to know what other professional organizations do? Obviously if your organization is religious or spiritual it would be appropriate however our group is an organization of insurance professionals.

Thanks.

Your question has more to do with social dynamics then parliamentary procedure. Your best shot is to seek out the person(s) who seems to be behind the invocations and diplomatically tell them your concerns. If that doesn't work or you think whatever you say will fall on deaf ears try to go to other people who seem disturbed about the invocations and all of you approach the person(s).

I have begun wondering if it's appropriate at all, especially when we co-sponsor an event with another professional group.

I would like to know what other professional organizations do?

Ceremonies ("protocol") are not covered in Robert's Rules of Order, other than a brief mention of some options which are possible or popular.

Certainly, RONR does not have any guidelines about the style of prayer, or orientation of invocation.

It just isn't a parliamentary-procedure subject.

Pamphlets on protocol are available elsewhere.

Toastmasters International, for example. And the federal government web site (most anything which ends in URL ".gov"), too.

I have gently tried to ask that if we do offer a prayer that it be at least generic in nature but then I have begun wondering if it's appropriate at all, especially when we co-sponsor an event with another professional group.

You might want to have the assembly discuss this at its next meeting and adopt a standing rule on the subject if it can't be settled informally.

• 3 months later...

I am President-Elect of a professional organization. There is no mention in our charter, by-laws or other governing documents that have any religious affiliation. Currently we begin some of our "event" meetings (breakfast & speaker for example) with an invocation. Once at a holiday party a very religion specific prayer was offered prior to dinner.

I would like to know what other professional organizations do? Obviously if your organization is religious or spiritual it would be appropriate however our group is an organization of insurance professionals.

Thanks.

Because it is not in our by-laws or Roberts Rules, I eliminated the prayer or invocation before the meeting and replaced it with "A silent moment of prayer". Those who want to pray, can. Those who would be offended, won't be.

Because it is not in our by-laws or Roberts Rules, I eliminated the prayer or invocation before the meeting and replaced it with "A silent moment of prayer".

That's great. And only three months after the original post.

But what makes you think you had the authority to impose your will on the assembly?

That's great. And only three months after the original post.

But what makes you think you had the authority to impose your will on the assembly?

...especially when you're the president-elect and not even the president!

I predict that you are either heading for a very rocky tenure as president or you preside over an organization that rolls over to anyone with a gavel in his/her hand.

-Bob

Archived