The Official RONR Q & A Forums

reorganization meeeting

mrart

RONR does not recognize the term "reorganizational meeting" but I suspect that your organization has elected new officers and this is the title you are giving to the first meeting with the new officers. At that meeting, the assembly can approve any motions that are proper under your bylaws. If they are the ones that approve the minutes of your annual meeting, the answer is yes. (The fact that they were not in office and/or might not have attended said meeting is not material.)

On the other hand, the board cannot approve the minutes of the membership meeting unless the bylaws give them that authority.

-Bob

At the reorginaztion meeting can a motion be made to second the minutes of the past Annual meeting, or is the reorginaztion meeting only for that purpose? mrart

It's hard to guess what you're asking. The term "seconding the minutes" is confusing me.

If you're talking about approving the minutes, you shouldn't wait a year to do that. If your organization only holds meetings once a year, the executive board or a committee appointed for that purpose should be authorized to approve the minutes. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 457, l. 21-27.

As for the phrase "a motion to second," this seems to be twisting two parliamentary terms. Motions are seconded, and you simply can't make a motion to second a motion.

As for "reorginaztion," I give up. :blink:

On the other hand, the board cannot approve the minutes of the membership meeting unless the bylaws give them that authority.

-Bob

Oh really? I cite the following.

"the board has only such power delegated to it by the bylaws or by the vote of the society's assembly referring individual matters to it." - p. 465, l. 28-30.

At the reorginaztion meeting can a motion be made to second the minutes of the past Annual meeting, or is the reorginaztion meeting only for that purpose? mrart

Sorry about my inablility to explan clearly, new at this. We had our Annual meeting in May 2010 and new board members were elected. Now the Board has what is called a Reorganization Meeting this week when the members are elected to their positions. Since the minutes of the May 2010 meeting have not been approved yet, would it be correct to approve the minutes at this meeting? mrart

Sorry about my inablility to explan clearly, new at this. We had our Annual meeting in May 2010 and new board members were elected. Now the Board has what is called a Reorganization Meeting this week when the members are elected to their positions. Since the minutes of the May 2010 meeting have not been approved yet, would it be correct to approve the minutes at this meeting?

The minutes of meetings of the general membership should be approved at the next regular meeting of the general membership. BUT . . . if that won't occur within three months, the board (or a committee) should be authorized to approve the minute. But the board can't do this unless specifically authorized to do so.

Just keep in mind the distinction between a meeting of the general membership and a meeting of the board. Apples and oranges.

Archived