The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can members change their votes after voting

Guest star

I am a HOA board member with a small 5 member board.We have been trying to decide on a cover for our backflow, Two choice. The first vote 3-2 for option 1. One board member is mad his option 2 isn't voted for, so he continues to send email to sway the other members from the 3-2 vote. I am asking can the first vote be changed?

I am a HOA board member with a small 5 member board.We have been trying to decide on a cover for our backflow, Two choice. The first vote 3-2 for option 1. One board member is mad his option 2 isn't voted for, so he continues to send email to sway the other members from the 3-2 vote. I am asking can the first vote be changed?

Until the deed is done, the motion can probably be rescinded or otherwise amended.

(I suspect this won't be the first board that tried to cover its backflow.)

so the vote is final when a member has submitted it in writing. Or does the vote be finialized with proper wording? I am sorry this sounds so simple but i just jioned the board and this member trys to bull member into his view

so the vote is final when a member has submitted it in writing. Or does the vote be finialized with proper wording? I am sorry this sounds so simple but i just jioned the board and this member trys to bull member into his view

If the vote for option 1 went 3-2, it seems only likely the vote for option 2 would go 2-3, so there really isn't any point, you know?

The vote is "final" when the Chair announces the result of the vote, step #6 in how a motion is handled. Athough in some (many?) cases it can be reversed by several different possible actions (rescind, reconsider, amend something previously adopted, etc). So unless the action proposed by the motion is completed, it can be "undone" or "taken back", but that requires another motion with voting.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a member has submitted it in writing", though.

so the vote is final when a member has submitted it in writing. Or does the vote be finialized with proper wording?

The motion was adopted when, on the basis of a 3-2 vote, the chair declared it adopted. But very little is carved in stone and a motion to rescind (or amend) the adopted motion might be in order.

thank you for everybody help

Submitted in writting by email. I found that metal notes fade with time so I have everybody submit thier vote by email. we are in the summer months in colorado, and it is hard to get everybody together, We do most of our discussion and voting on email.

so the vote was tailied twice

2006-21 CHANGING VOTES

Q. On page 395, lines 9-12, RONR, 10th ed., says:

"A member has a right to change his vote up to the time the result is announced; after that, he can make the change only by the unanimous consent of the assembly granted without debate (see p. 46).

nice index on the help page

so less I agree to allow members to change his vote ..it a done deal

again thank you all...

so less I agree to let any member change his vote..it a done deal

thank you for everybody help

Submitted in writting by email. I found that metal notes fade with time so I have everybody submit thier vote by email. we are in the summer months in colorado, and it is hard to get everybody together, We do most of our discussion and voting on email.

so the vote was tailied twice

2006-21 CHANGING VOTES

Q. On page 395, lines 9-12, RONR, 10th ed., says:

"A member has a right to change his vote up to the time the result is announced; after that, he can make the change only by the unanimous consent of the assembly granted without debate (see p. 46).

nice index on the help page

so less I agree to allow members to change his vote ..it a done deal

again thank you all...

so less I agree to let any member change his vote..it a done deal

Since you are operating (we hope) under your own bylaws or applicable law, you have come to the wrong place for advice. You are certainly not operating in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order.

enlighten me,,again I been on the board less than 2months..what are we doing wrong? please if you can give a simple answer or we just fubar

Voting by email violates fundamental principles of parliamentary law, and may only be done if authorized by your bylaws or applicable law. If it is so authorized, you should have special rules of order to cover the problems which consequently will arise.

I will check our bylaws,I think the last board revise the bylaws to include that. so what is special rule on the vote and changing it?

While I question whether the board has the authority to amend the Bylaws, if your organization has adopted e-mail voting it needs to adopt its own special rules of order to handle that. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 2, footnote) Contrary to popular belief, it's not as simple as just slapping the words "e-mail voting" into your Bylaws. You may want to read some articles on the subject for assistance in developing supporting rules.

thanks again :)

I will check our bylaws,I think the last board revise the bylaws to include that. so what is special rule on the vote and changing it?

and I am very impressed with your knowledge base :D

And star, get ahead of the game (and probably ahead of most of the others, and, most likely, better informed than the member who tries to shove his opinion onto the rest of you) by getting a copy of RONR-In Brief, and read it at once. Take an hour or two (the first time!). Put off lunch (it is so short, you won't have to skip it altogether). Then read it again the day before the next meeting. An eye-opener.

Archived