The Official RONR Q & A Forums

special meeting

Guest Barb

We have an issue in our organization where a committee appointed by the board wants the board to remove one member of the committee due to lack of being able to work with this individual. four board members called a special meeting, I am President. The five committee members do not want to meet and explain their reasoning with the member they want excused from the committee. I have set up two meetings, one with the five members and one with the one member. My question is this. I plan to request a motion for executive session. The reason for this is that I don't want what is said in the first meeting to be leaked for lack of a better term prior to the second meeting. Can I ask for executive session motion for the first session, NOT have a motion made at the end of the first session to continue into the second session which is on a different day. Then have a motion to come out of executive session at the end of the second session. I am worried that all of this will be talked about in the general membership prior to hearing all sides. It is important that this be fair and proper. thank you for your time

We have an issue in our organization where a committee appointed by the board wants the board to remove one member of the committee due to lack of being able to work with this individual. four board members called a special meeting, I am President. The five committee members do not want to meet and explain their reasoning with the member they want excused from the committee. I have set up two meetings, one with the five members and one with the one member. My question is this. I plan to request a motion for executive session. The reason for this is that I don't want what is said in the first meeting to be leaked for lack of a better term prior to the second meeting. Can I ask for executive session motion for the first session, NOT have a motion made at the end of the first session to continue into the second session which is on a different day. Then have a motion to come out of executive session at the end of the second session. I am worried that all of this will be talked about in the general membership prior to hearing all sides. It is important that this be fair and proper. thank you for your time

It seems as if this is becoming unduly complicated, but let's begin at the beginning.

What, exactly, do your bylaws say about special meetings of your board and who can call them?

It seems as if this is becoming unduly complicated, but let's begin at the beginning.

What, exactly, do your bylaws say about special meetings of your board and who can call them?

The President calls the meeetings, I am the President, or a petition by members, in this case four board members petitioned for the meeting. I would not have called it.

In small boards of about a dozen or fewer members, the Chair may participate fully, so you can make the motion yourself.

You talk of setting up meetings to address this issue - are these actual Board meetings? Are all members of the Board invited? That is, is the odd man out also on the Board, or simply a committee member?

In small boards of about a dozen or fewer members, the Chair may participate fully, so you can make the motion yourself.

You talk of setting up meetings to address this issue - are these actual Board meetings? Are all members of the Board invited? That is, is the odd man out also on the Board, or simply a committee member?

All board members are invited along with the five committee members. the next meeting all board members and the one committee member. The one committee member is not a member of the board, but a board appointed committee person. The majority of the committee will not meet with the one individual, they do not feel they can speak freely with him there. The one committee person wants to set his own meeting, which I allowed for July 29th. My question is can I recess the session in executive session and continue it on July 29th. I am aware that individuals are not to speak about what happens in executive session.

My question is can I recess the session in executive session and continue it on July 29th.

It's up to the board to decide when it wants to meet in executive session. It can do so for all or part of some or all meetings. Unless there's some disagreement, this is usually accomplished by unanimous consent. Otherwise a motion and a majority vote will do it.

My question is can I recess the session in executive session and continue it on July 29th.

If you wish to continue the meeting on a separate day, the proper motion is to adjourn, not to recess. The motion to adjourn can be made in the qualified form if made when no motion is pending, otherwise, you'll need to use the motion to fix the time to which to adjourn as well. A "recess" is a short break in a meeting.

Archived