The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspend The Rules

David A Foulkes

What would be wrong with this motion "I move that we return to the the normal rules of debate"

Also why can't an IM to suspend the rules be rescinded or reconsidered in this case.

I'm not sure it can be rescinded, Alan, looking at SDC#2 on p. 294. It doesn't seem to apply to an incidental motion.

Also, it cannot be reconsidered (SDC#8 p. 253)

Alan I'm lost in all this mess as to exactly what you're referring to.

Well, I think suspension of a rule created by the adoption of a motion to suspend the rules (thus permitting an otherwise prohibited action) will require only a majority vote for its adoption since, if adopted, it will do nothing more than return the assembly to it's regular rules.

If the rules are suspended to allow a nonmember to speak in debate, such an action (of allowing the nonmember to speak) is immune to the rules that would prohibit it. However, this does not create any RIGHT for that nonmember to speak in debate, nor does it create any new rule on the matter.

Well, I think suspension of a rule created by the adoption of a motion to suspend the rules (thus permitting an otherwise prohibited action) will require only a majority vote for its adoption since, if adopted, it will do nothing more than return the assembly to it's regular rules.

I think this is where some of the confusion lies. Does the motion to Suspend The Rules create (even oh so temporarily) a new rule that itself can be "suspended", thus restoring order from the chaos? Mr. Wynn seems to think not. Your post suggests you differ with him.

I think this is where some of the confusion lies. Does the motion to Suspend The Rules create (even oh so temporarily) a new rule that itself can be "suspended", thus restoring order from the chaos? Mr. Wynn seems to think not. Your post suggests you differ with him.

If an assembly agrees (properly) to suspend the rules to permit something to happen, I regard it as the equivalent of adopting a rule that that something can happen (but the rule thus adopted can be suspended by a majority vote, as previously noted).

Well that certainly answers Alan's good question and an answer which I find quite illuminating. Thanks :)

If an assembly agrees (properly) to suspend the rules to permit something to happen, I regard it as the equivalent of adopting a rule that that something can happen (but the rule thus adopted can be suspended by a majority vote, as previously noted).

Would this "new rule" be suspended, or would it actually be eliminated by such a vote?

David,

Thanks for the "dead horse" graphic. I remain amazed by your digital prowess.

Aw shucks. I can only say my digital prowess is inversely proportional to my grasp of the subtleties of RONR, which, as it (hopefully - my grasp that is) grows, will be manifested by my increasingly feeble attempts to improve upon :).

Would this "new rule" be suspended, or would it actually be eliminated by such a vote?

Well, rehashing what I think was alluded to earlier in this thread, if the suspension of the regular rules is accomplished incident to the adoption of an incidental main motion establishing a different rule for all or some portion of the session (which is what happens, for example, when standing rules are adopted for a convention), the new rule may be suspended for a particular purpose by a motion to suspend it (only a majority vote is required), but if the "suspension" is, in fact, equivalent to rescission of the rule, it will need to be treated accordingly, and a two-thirds vote (or the vote of a majority of the entire membership) will be required (see, e.g., RONR, 10th ed., p. 601-602).

On the other hand, if the original suspension is adopted for a limited purpose by the adoption of an incidental motion to Suspend the Rules (as in the usual case), "suspension" of the suspension will almost always be tantamount to rescission. Even if it is, I think that, in such a case, a motion to return to the regular rules is in order, and that only a majority vote will be required to do so (see HPL, p. 3).

Nothing substantive to contribute, but just wanted to say that this sure has turned out to be an interesting thread.

I share Mr. Foulkes' curiosity about 'HPL'...

H. P. Lovecraft, of eldritch parliamentary horror stories. And you all wondered about the crocodiles, or why I wake up in night sweats after dreaming about suspending the rules.

Mr. Honemann, I'd like to do this (see HPL, p. 3, that is). I'm not sure what the H stands for (I get the PL), nor where I could find this reference material. Could you please advise?

Thanks.

HPL stands for Honemann on Parliamentary Law, and this rule is on page 3. This is because there are other rules on the first two pages, but I don't remember what they are.

HPL stands for Honemann on Parliamentary Law, and this rule is on page 3. This is because there are other rules on the first two pages, but I don't remember what they are.

I recall from the old forum that pg. 2 had to do with the rule that a majority of the entire membership may amend or rescind a special rule of order being based upon a fundamental principle of parliamentary law.

I've never seen a citation for pg. 1. I must not have been here long enough.

Archived