The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Sam

Our bylaws (very generic in nature and copied from some guide for administrative rules)refers to presenting a slate of officers to the Executive Board for approval, but then also references a vote by secret ballot. If you vote, why is approval necessary?

I think that the term "slate" is causing me some confusion of sorts.

Our bylaws (very generic in nature and copied from some guide for administrative rules)refers to presenting a slate of officers to the Executive Board for approval, but then also references a vote by secret ballot. If you vote, why is approval necessary?

Who presents the slate to the EB? What is the EB approving?

It sounds like a Nominating Committee should be behind this presentation part, and perhaps the EB is making sure their selections are for members qualified to serve in office (thus "approving" the "slate"). But that's just a blind guess.

As for the vote, typically officers are elected by a vote, usually by (secret) ballot, so it sounds like that part is proper, although you use the term "references" a vote by secret ballot, which is vague.

Your bylaws are your organization's to interpret however.

A nominating committee is mentioned (sorry that I omitted that part) and there is only the Executive Board of 12 members and four officers: President, Vice, Treasurer and Recording Secretary within the E-Board.

To me , it almost seems as though it is written as though only one person might be interested in each position. In that case, the slate is submitted for approval. If there is more than one candidate for each position, then elections are held. This however, is only my best guess.

To me , it almost seems as though it is written as though only one person might be interested in each position. In that case, the slate is submitted for approval. If there is more than one candidate for each position, then elections are held. This however, is only my best guess.

You might want to consider forming a bylaws committee to look into ways your bylaws can be improved. It's certainly easier to head-off problems before they occur than it is to try to fix things with a set of crappy tools. Arm yourselves with a copy of RONR and RONR In Brief and, with the help of this forum, you'll be off to a good start.

If you vote, why is approval necessary?

In general, you don't know what your bylaws mean, then amend your bylaws.

• Strike out ambiguous language, conflicting rules, and obsolete practices.

• Insert clear language, logical flow, current practices.

Yowza, boss.

Ditto. (See above).

• 2 weeks later...

In general, you don't know what your bylaws mean, then amend your bylaws.

• Strike out ambiguous language, conflicting rules, and obsolete practices.

• Insert clear language, logical flow, current practices.

Yowza, boss.

Ditto. (See above).

We had one nominee for President who has now declined. Do we have to reopen the nomination process for all positions (basically a do-over) or just for this one office?

Nothing in RONR requires that nominees must be approved. The answer to your question depends entirely on your organization's Bylaws, the interpretation of which is beyond the scope of this forum. Your organization will have to interpret this question for itself. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 570-573 for some Principles of Interpretation.

Let me try this again: We had open nominations for the offices of President, V.P, Treasurer and Secretary. We had multiple nominees for each office except that of the President. The one nominee who was interested in the president's position has now declined. Since we have no one for this position, will we need to reopen the nomination process in its entirety, or for just this one office? Our Bylaws are silent on this matter.

This matter is not related to "approval". We conducted nominations in accordance with RONR. The lone nominee for president did not decline the nomination from the floor, but did so the next day.

Let me try this again: We had open nominations for the offices of President, V.P, Treasurer and Secretary. We had multiple nominees for each office except that of the President. The one nominee who was interested in the president's position has now declined. Since we have no one for this position, will we need to reopen the nomination process in its entirety, or for just this one office? Our Bylaws are silent on this matter.

This matter is not related to "approval". We conducted nominations in accordance with RONR. The lone nominee for president did not decline the nomination from the floor, but did so the next day.

I'm sorry, I read your post wrong. I read "was now declined," rather than "has now declined." In that case, the nominating committee should meet again if there is time to do so. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 421, lines 1-5) If there isn't time, just take nominations from the floor. The nominating committee is not required to reconsider nominations for the other positions.

Archived