The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Addressing the Membership

edivdp

I have 2 questions really. In our Union meetings people are always told to "Address the Chairman". What is the mechanism to address the members? Do you simply ask permission? And if another member wants to ask a question of the speaker can he ask the speaking member directly or does he have to ask permission from the Chair?

Thanks!

What is the mechanism to address the members? Do you simply ask permission? And if another member wants to ask a question of the speaker can he ask the speaking member directly or does he have to ask permission from the Chair?

It is not required to ask permission from the chair (it is the speaker who must grant permission for the interruption), however, the member must ask his question through the chair. The speaking members should not be addressed directly. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 282, line 25 - pg. 283, line 28)

In our Union meetings people are always told to "Address the Chairman".

That's The Rule from The Book.

What is the mechanism to address the members?

There is none.

All remarks are directed to the chair.

If another member wants to ask a question of the speaker can he ask the speaking member directly or does he have to ask permission from the Chair?

It's all done THROUGH the chair. No exceptions. That's The Book.

The interrupting member ASKS THE CHAIR if the speaker will "yield" for a question.

Then the CHAIR asks the SPEAKER if the SPEAKER is willing to yield to the question.

If yes, then the interrupting member ASKS THE CHAIR the question.

Etc., you get the idea.

It's all done THROUGH the chair. No exceptions. That's The Book.

The interrupting member ASKS THE CHAIR if the speaker will "yield" for a question.

Then the CHAIR asks the SPEAKER if the SPEAKER is willing to yield to the question.

If yes, then the interrupting member ASKS THE CHAIR the question.

Etc., you get the idea.

And while that may seem convoluted, it serves a purpose. Routing all communication to or through the chair helps keep the meeting on track and focused on issues, not personalities.

OK I got it and thanks for the replies. I might add however that we run some pretty informal meetings and we let members address the body as a whole at times, such as when running for office a member is allowed to introduce himself and give a short speech.

"Addressing the body as a whole" doesn't really differ substantially from addressing the chair, so far as I'm concerned. The point of the rules is that members should not address another individual member directly, to help prevent things from getting personal.

That's the take I had also Josh from watching C-Span. Members take the podium, face AWAY from the chair and talk in the direction of the assembly. And even though they use the words "Mr Chairman", it's really addressing the whole body.

Well, no real harm done this time, but don't make it a habit to learn parliamentary procedure from watching C-SPAN. Many of the practices used in the U. S. Congress differ substantially from those used in an ordinary society, since neither the House nor Senate uses RONR as its parliamentary authority, and both have many, many customized rules. I blame "The C-SPAN Effect" for all the questions we get about "reading into the record," for example. :rolleyes:

In this case, however, while the particulars may vary (it is somewhat unusual in an ordinary society for members to "take the podium") it is correct that when speaking in debate, while a member speaks through the chair as a matter of formality, his remarks are generally intended for the assembly as a whole.

Archived