The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting

Guest robin

My question is, can children vote?

The rule is, "Members vote."

• If the child is a member, then the child can vote.

• If the adult is not a member, then the adult cannot vote.

• Thus, it makes no difference if the member is a minor child or a senile old adult.

Their parents tell them when to raise their hands.

This violates no rule in Robert's Rules.

Members are free to:

• consult astrology charts prior to voting.

• flip a coin prior to voting.

• shake the Magic Eight Ball prior to voting.

• read the prophesies of Nostradamus prior to voting.

• ask lobbyists for money prior to voting.

... and ...

• obey their parents prior to voting.

• disobey their parents prior to voting.

If the parents are not members themselves, then perhaps the parents ought to be ordered from the meeting hall prior to voting, if you suspect that a bias is creeping in, or that corruption is a problem.

Perhaps a sample bylaw would be instructive (not to mention entertaining).

Actually, I hadn't thought it through, but I was looking for some means of addressing a pattern of coercion of one set of members by another, rather than disenfranchising the younger members. As this website used to say, "-Some bylaws are aspirational in nature....-"

Actually, I hadn't thought it through, but I was looking for some means of addressing a pattern of coercion of one set of members by another, rather than disenfranchising the younger members. As this website used to say, "-Some bylaws are aspirational in nature....-"

Well, I agree with Mr. Mountcastle in that case. Such a Bylaw would be difficult to write and more difficult to enforce, although it would likely be entertaining. Your honesty is admirable, however. A lesser man may have just gone with, "Yeah, what he said!":)

Here's a start. "While the meeting is in progress, no member may be seated within two meters of any members within five years of age of him, and within two degrees of consanguinity."

Archived