The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

Guest Melvin  Williams

Guest Melvin  Williams

The bylaws state that for this particular board a quorum consists of 5 members out of 9 being present and a quorum must be present to vote on topics. The membership is made up of persons appointed by an elected body; the last meeting of the board five board members were present out of 6 official board members (there were three vacancies as a result of resignations). The minutes of the last board meeting must be approved at the next board meeting but, only 3 persons will be in attendance who were actually at the last board meeting. One of the board members was not available at the last meeting and 4 new board members were just appointed by the elected body at that body's last meeting, therefore, only 4 current board members were official at the time of the last meeting but only three of them were actually there. The other attendees at the last board meeting, which allowed for a quorum and gave the board the ability to act on business, were official board members at the time of the meeting but are no longer on the board as a result of not being eligible for reappointment because of time limits.

I know this is confusing but I hope I have explained our problem. How do we approve the minutes of the last meeting considering that the bylaws state to act a quorum must be present and 5 members present makes a quorum?

Thanks for any comments regarding this issue.

Melvin

It is not necessary to have been at the meeting in order to vote on approving the minutes.

However, you do not seem to be handling the approval of the minutes in the most expedient fashion. The chairman should ask that the minutes be read and call for any corrections. If there are none (or after all corrections have been agreed to) the chairman simply declares that the minutes have been approved.

Your post is titled "quorum" but the quorum only refers to the number of members who must be present in order to conduct business, not the number of votes required.

-Bob

Melvin,

It sounds like you're worried that the minutes can't be approved without the members who attended the previous meeting. Don't worry about it. The minutes are approved if you have a quorum, whether or not any of the members from the previous meeting are present at the meeting doing the approving.

From what I understand, you expect to have a quorum, right? That's all that matters.

Guest Melvin Williams

It is not necessary to have been at the meeting in order to vote on approving the minutes.

However, you do not seem to be handling the approval of the minutes in the most expedient fashion. The chairman should ask that the minutes be read and call for any corrections. If there are none (or after all corrections have been agreed to) the chairman simply declares that the minutes have been approved.

Your post is titled "quorum" but the quorum only refers to the number of members who must be present in order to conduct business, not the number of votes required.

-Bob

Thanks for the help.

Melvin

Guest Melvin Williams

Melvin,

It sounds like you're worried that the minutes can't be approved without the members who attended the previous meeting. Don't worry about it. The minutes are approved if you have a quorum, whether or not any of the members from the previous meeting are present at the meeting doing the approving.

From what I understand, you expect to have a quorum, right? That's all that matters.

Tim, thanks for your help.

Melvin

Archived