The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions arrising from new business

Guest Stewart Marsden

... or do they have to be included in the agenda of the AGM?

You won't find any rule in RONR which implies "New business must be agendized prior to any member making a motion." (Or, "... prior to voting on it.")

The closest thing to it would be "previous notice". But that kind of pre-announcement has nothing to do with agendas.

(Previous notice is given via mail or via oral announcement.)

Guest stewart marsden

Or, for starters, RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief" (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.00! You can read it in an evening.

Exceptional circumstances is the key phrase. Our corporation, of 23 shareholders at a holiday resort, is being sued by 2 shareholders. So far legal costs are approx $25,000 and rising. AGM this Saturday will be a battle royal with these 2 and 2 other shareholders who share their hate of the rest of the shareholders. Not going to be pretty. Unfortunatley the 2 plaintiffs are ex union negotiators???????

Regards Stewart

Exceptional circumstances is the key phrase. Our corporation, of 23 shareholders at a holiday resort, is being sued by 2 shareholders. So far legal costs are approx $25,000 and rising. AGM this Saturday will be a battle royal with these 2 and 2 other shareholders who share their hate of the rest of the shareholders. Not going to be pretty. Unfortunatley the 2 plaintiffs are ex union negotiators???????

Regards Stewart

Quite Sincerely --- best of luck there, Stewart.

It is very, very unlikely that the exceptional PARLIAMENTARY circumstances that Dr Stackpole referred to will come up. You might do well to engage the services of a parliamentarian, and perhaps more urgently, the police or a security agency (RONR, 10th Ed., p. 629).

Guest stewart marsden

I picked up the 10th edition of Roberts Rules, thank you. One of our shareholders is RCMP and a large chap so physical attacks are unlikely however it will be a verbal battle. Thank you to all for your input.

Regards Stewart

It is very, very unlikely that the exceptional PARLIAMENTARY circumstances that Dr Stackpole referred to will come up. You might do well to engage the services of a parliamentarian, and perhaps more urgently, the police or a security agency (RONR, 10th Ed., p. 629).

And you quote me... why?

I picked up the 10th edition of Roberts Rules, thank you. One of our shareholders is RCMP and a large chap so physical attacks are unlikely however it will be a verbal battle. Thank you to all for your input.

Regards Stewart

Excellent. Good luck, good reading. See you back here in three months. :)

And you quote me... why?

Excellent. Good luck, good reading. See you back here in three months. :)

I think he oughtta read RONR- In Brief at once. Like by Sunday afternoon. And come back and ask questions. If we don't hear from him well before three months go by, he's likely sunk, burly Mountie notwithstanding.

Archived