The Official RONR Q & A Forums

NEW BUSINESS

Guest Frank

OUR FINANCIAL SECRETARY WAS GIVING HIS REPORT, AND DURING HIS REPORT, HE STARTED TO MAKE A MOTION. I STATED TO THE CHAIR, THAT THIS MOTION IS NOT IN ORDER, AND HE SHOULD BRING THIS UP UNDER NEW BUSINESS, THEN ANOTHER OFFICER TOLD THE CHAIR, WE CAN VOTE ON IT NOW. WHO WAS RIGHT?

PLEASE ADVISE. THANK YOU.

OUR FINANCIAL SECRETARY WAS GIVING HIS REPORT, AND DURING HIS REPORT, HE STARTED TO MAKE A MOTION. I STATED TO THE CHAIR, THAT THIS MOTION IS NOT IN ORDER, AND HE SHOULD BRING THIS UP UNDER NEW BUSINESS, THEN ANOTHER OFFICER TOLD THE CHAIR, WE CAN VOTE ON IT NOW. WHO WAS RIGHT?

A motion arising out of an officer's report is taken up immediately. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 345. l.2-5

OUR FINANCIAL SECRETARY WAS GIVING HIS REPORT.

DURING HIS REPORT, HE STARTED TO MAKE A MOTION.

I STATED TO THE CHAIR, THAT THIS MOTION IS NOT IN ORDER, AND HE SHOULD BRING THIS UP UNDER NEW BUSINESS.

THEN ANOTHER OFFICER TOLD THE CHAIR, WE CAN VOTE ON IT NOW.

WHO WAS RIGHT?

The "officer" you mention was right.

You were wrong.

There is no rule in Robert's Rules which says that motions arising out of reports must wait for the meeting to reach "new business" first.

You were right that an Officer, when making his report, should not himself make any motion to implement recommendations contained in his report (RONR, 10th ed., p. 344, l. 31-34).

The "officer" you mention was right.

You were wrong.

There is no rule in Robert's Rules which says that motions arising out of reports must wait for the meeting to reach "new business" first.

Group:

Moderators Posts:

203 Joined:

08-May 10 LocationTimonium, Maryland Posted Today, 04:56 AM

Frank, on 13 July 2010 - 11:24 PM, said:

You were right that an Officer, when making his report, should not himself make any motion to implement recommendations contained in his report (RONR, 10th ed., p. 344, l. 31-34).

Group:

Moderators Posts:

203 Joined:

08-May 10 LocationTimonium, Maryland Posted Today, 04:56 AM

Frank, on 13 July 2010 - 11:24 PM, said:

Frank, I don't see your point.

Archived