The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper Terminology

Portcullischain

I suspect the following question comes from me not wanting to look like a complete idiot. Last month, to satisfy our bylaw requirements for amendment to bylaws, I gave notice for an amendment that I'd like to see enacted that would allow our Treasurer to remain in her position. Basically eliminating a term limit. Everybody in the meeting was completely agreeable to the amendment. At this point, one month later, what would be the terminology or words I should say to complete the process to present the motion to our band booster club?

Musically

-PC

Last month, to satisfy our bylaw requirements for amendment to bylaws, I gave notice for an amendment that I'd like to see enacted that would allow our Treasurer to remain in her position.

Basically eliminating a term limit.

Everybody in the meeting was completely agreeable to the amendment.

At this point, one month later, what would be the terminology or words I should say to complete the process to present the motion to our band booster club?

Musically

-PC

I am glad you are "musically PC" - so many rock critics nowadays are not, you know. ;)

The wording YOU are to use depends on the existing wording.

It might be as simple as this: "To strike out the second sentence in the first paragraph of Article Ten."

E.g., Article Ten might read like so: "Term of office limits for [office X] is two per lifetime." - So just eliminate that one key sentence and, "Voila!" (or, as they say in the musically PC world "Viola!"), you are done.

I suspect the following question comes from me not wanting to look like a complete idiot. Last month, to satisfy our bylaw requirements for amendment to bylaws, I gave notice for an amendment that I'd like to see enacted that would allow our Treasurer to remain in her position. Basically eliminating a term limit. Everybody in the meeting was completely agreeable to the amendment. At this point, one month later, what would be the terminology or words I should say to complete the process to present the motion to our band booster club?

Musically

-PC

If you've given proper notice the chair can simply state the question since it's a general order for the meeting at which it will be considered. So let the chair worry about it.

If I recall correctly from an earlier thread, Portcullischain is the president of the booster club (hence, presumably, the chair at the meetings). Unless this is a very formal organization, I wouldn't worry too much about using perfect terminology. However, you do want to be very clear on what exactly is being amended in the bylaws. If you haven't done so already, write down your proposed amendment so that it is absolutely clear what is being changed, and what the bylaws would say after the change. You could also hand out copies to the people at the meeting who will be voting on the proposed amendment, if that seems helpful. The main point is that the question must either be stated clearly and explicitly verbally, or it must be stated clearly and explicitly in writing (a vague statement, such as 'I move that we eliminate the term limit for the treasurer' is not adequate).

Once the question is before the assembly, it can be debated, and amended (should the assembly wish to do so), before coming to a vote.

If you've given proper notice the chair can simply state the question since it's a general order for the meeting at which it will be considered. So let the chair worry about it.

I don't agree. The giving of previous notice of a bylaw amendment under the rule of RONR (10th ed.), p. 578, ll. 8-10, either by mail or (when permitted) by a member at a meeting, is not equivalent to the making of a motion. In particular, the chair cannot simply state the question without a second, unless the bylaws require that the amendment be submitted in writing in advance with an endorsement.

Archived