The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election to fill a board vacancy

Chubner

Election to fill a board vacancy / resignation

A Board Member last month resigned from their position last month and the procedure to fill the vacancy was followed (announcement of resignation, nominations from floor taken, and election).

The 2 questions I have are:

1.It was never brought to the membership for acceptance of the board members resignation. Is this mandatory? Does this void the election of the replacement?

2.There was only one nomination from the floor and the president made the announcement that the secretary can cast the electing vote for that position. There is nothing in the bylaws, that state that can or can not be done.

a.Am I correct in my thinking that, that is not proper procedure even though there is one candidate that was nominated?

b.Am I correct in that the whole membership needs to vote (what if there are 41 people present and 20 vote in favor and 21 vote against) and both the favorable and unfavorable votes need to be taken into consideration?

I appreciate your help and guidance.

Chris

Election to fill a board vacancy / resignation

A Board Member last month resigned from their position last month and the procedure to fill the vacancy was followed (announcement of resignation, nominations from floor taken, and election).

The 2 questions I have are:

1.It was never brought to the membership for acceptance of the board members resignation. Is this mandatory? Does this void the election of the replacement?

No, not if your Board is authorized to fill the vacancy.

2.There was only one nomination from the floor and the president made the announcement that the secretary can cast the electing vote for that position. There is nothing in the bylaws, that state that can or can not be done.

a.Am I correct in my thinking that, that is not proper procedure even though there is one candidate that was nominated?

No (unless your bylaws mandate a ballot vote).

b.Am I correct in that the whole membership needs to vote (what if there are 41 people present and 20 vote in favor and 21 vote against) and both the favorable and unfavorable votes need to be taken into consideration?

I don't understand this question. Can you rephrase it? It seems to bear no relationship to the facts as previously stated.

Thank you Dan,

Clarification:

The board of directors are elected by the general membership. If there is a single candidate nominated for a particular office does the whole membership vote on the candidate (via secret ballot, show of hands, etc) or can one member from the board cast the ballot?

I would also like to add, if a candidate is running unopposed can the president declare that candidate X has been elected by acclimation?

Thank you again for your help

No, not if your Board is authorized to fill the vacancy.

No (unless your bylaws mandate a ballot vote).

I don't understand this question. Can you rephrase it? It seems to bear no relationship to the facts as previously stated.

Thank you Dan,

Clarification:

The board of directors are elected by the general membership. If there is a single candidate nominated for a particular office does the whole membership vote on the candidate (via secret ballot, show of hands, etc) or can one member from the board cast the ballot?

I would also like to add, if a candidate is running unopposed can the president declare that candidate X has been elected by acclimation?

Thank you again for your help

If the general membership is the group that elects, then the general membership is the group that votes.

If there is only one nominee for an office, the chair may declare that nominee elected unless your bylaws require a ballot vote.

Our bylaws state that we need to vote. So in this case its the whole membership (that is eligible for voting) that votes and not just one person for the whole membership?

If the general membership is the group that elects, then the general membership is the group that votes.

If there is only one nominee for an office, the chair may declare that nominee elected unless your bylaws require a ballot vote.

The board of directors are elected by the general membership.

Our bylaws state that we need to vote. So in this case its the whole membership (that is eligible for voting) that votes and not just one person for the whole membership?

Then vote ye shall.

Asked and answered.

As to the method of voting, if your bylaws don't stipulate, any of the accepted methods are okay. Sections 45 and 46 will offer great insight into what those acceptable methods are, and how they may be selected and carried out.

Archived