The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes

Guest Debbie

Our HOA by-laws have a Rule of Procedure: "Where not otherwise provided for by these By-Laws, the rules of parliamentary procedure as set forth in Roberts' "Parliamentary Law" should prevail at all meetings."

My question is do the minutes of the meeting have to comply with Roberts' "Parliamentary Law"?

No where in the by-laws does it talk about that, but it is almost inferred since you have to refer to past minutes to effectively run the current meeting per Robert's "Parliamentary Law".

Need help on this one before 7/20/10 HOA meeting. Thanks

"Where not otherwise provided for by these By-Laws, the rules of parliamentary procedure as set forth in Roberts' "Parliamentary Law" should prevail at all meetings."

My question is, do the minutes of the meeting have to comply with Roberts' "Parliamentary Law"?

Yes, whatever rules an organization adopts, must be obeyed by the members, until that rule is rescinded or amended otherwise.

What OTHER option did you have in mind about your minutes?

What in "Parliamentary Law" do you find objectionable or unreasonable?

What did you plan to do with your minutes which does not (will not) comply with "Parliamentary Law"?

What do you want changed?

My question is do the minutes of the meeting have to comply with Roberts' "Parliamentary Law"?

Yes.

No where in the by-laws does it talk about that, but it is almost inferred since you have to refer to past minutes to effectively run the current meeting per Robert's "Parliamentary Law".

A better argument is that the duty of the Secretary to take minutes is one of the Secretary's duties in connection with meetings.

Although rather than quibble over your poorly-worded Bylaw which has adopted a text which is quite old and was intended as a supplement to Robert's Rules, not as a parliamentary authority in itself, it might be better to amend your Bylaws and adopt RONR, 10th ed. as your parliamentary authority. See How Your Organization Can Adopt Robert's Rules, elsewhere on this site.

Although you are stuck with Parliamentary Law in the meantime.

Archived