The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Exclusions/ Discipline

Guest Gail

Question: In a Volunteer Organization can a meeting be limited to only Volunteer "staff" (not paid)?

Unclear.

Meetings are "Members only."

If a person is a member, you cannot exclude him from a meeting of the organization.

I don't know if your "volunteer" is a member or not, of whatever body is meeting.

What body is meeting? - And who are the members?

Question: Can a Volunteer be written up when there is not set policy or warnings of such?

"Written up"?

What does that mean?

You won't find that phrase in Robert's Rules of Order.

Who is doing this "writing up"? And what happens to this "writing"?

Question: In a Volunteer Organization can a meeting be limited to only Volunteer "staff" (not paid)?

Members of the assembly that is meeting have the right to attend. Anyone else may be invited or excluded as the assembly desires. Is this even a meeting of a deliberative assembly?

Question: Can a Volunteer be written up when there is not set policy or warnings of such?

Discipline of members should follow the rules in RONR, 10th ed., Ch. XX. Staff may be disciplined as the assembly sees fit, unless it conflicts with the rules of the assembly or applicable law. It is not required to have a written rule or a warning in order to do so. The authority of officers and other staff to discipline volunteers would need to derive from the assembly's rules or by a motion.

Unclear.

Meetings are "Members only."

If a person is a member, you cannot exclude him from a meeting of the organization.

I don't know if your "volunteer" is a member or not, of whatever body is meeting.

What body is meeting? - And who are the members?

I am a volunteer in a non profit organization. Some of us have been given a title of "staff" because we can supervise others. We are all volunteers. Our meeting is supposed to be for "staff" only. Other volunteers want to come, but the Director has excluded them. Doesn't seem right to me........

"Written up"?

What does that mean?

You won't find that phrase in Robert's Rules of Order.

Who is doing this "writing up"? And what happens to this "writing"?

Our Director threatens to "write up " volunteers for whatever behavior or task she deems in wrong. If direct policy is not violated, how can one be written up? We are not employees.

I am a volunteer in a non profit organization. Some of us have been given a title of "staff" because we can supervise others. We are all volunteers. Our meeting is supposed to be for "staff" only. Other volunteers want to come, but the Director has excluded them. Doesn't seem right to me.

If the meeting is called for staff only, then it is a meeting of staff. - Only.

Any volunteer who isn't staff cannot attend.

Do you have a customized rule which implies that non-staff people get to attend staff meetings?

Indeed, do your bylaws have ANYTHING describing how staff meetings are called?

Our Director threatens to "write up " volunteers for whatever behavior or task she deems in wrong. If direct policy is not violated, how can one be written up? We are not employees.

I don't know.

You have not described what "writing up" means.

You have not cited any rule controlling any aspect of this "writing up".

Q. Is "writing up" a good thing or a bad thing? And how do you know this? What rule controls the act of "writing up"?

You won't find the term "writing up" in RONR. It must your own customized procedure. So you are really on your own, to comprehend what is going on with this "writing up", and how to process a "write-up" (whatever that is).

The Director only has the authority granted by your organization's rules or by a motion adopted by the assembly. Although once again I ask if there is an assembly involved in all of this.

If the meeting is called for staff only, then it is a meeting of staff. - Only.

Any volunteer who isn't staff cannot attend.

Unless the staff constitute a deliberative assembly (which I find unlikely), RONR has nothing to say about who can attend.

Q. Is "writing up" a good thing or a bad thing?

Well, since they're being threatened with it, I suspect it's a bad thing. :)

Archived