The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President Resigns - Is he now PP?

Guest S. Giroux

If the President resigns from the board, does he or she become the past president? This is the first term of the board so there is no current PP because the person resigning is the first president the association has.

Thanks!

I thought so. ...was hoping this would not be the answer as the resignation came as a welcomed event and we were hoping we were rid of the individual. I guess this is not the case?

Lucky for him or her (and I do hope you find out soon), he or she becomes not only a Past President but the Immediate Past President. But does that position have any relevance in your organization? Would the Past President be and ex-officio member of the Board or something? Is this in the bylaws?

This gender-non-specific person is no longer the President, but does resignation from that office also include resignation from the organization? How would you be rid of .... well, that person? How much more rid of he-- er that is hi-- ....your past president do you need to be?

Lucky for him or her (and I do hope you find out soon), he or she becomes not only a Past President but the Immediate Past President. But does that position have any relevance in your organization? Would the Past President be and ex-officio member of the Board or something? Is this in the bylaws?

This gender-non-specific person is no longer the President, but does resignation from that office also include resignation from the organization? How would you be rid of .... well, that person? How much more rid of he-- er that is hi-- ....your past president do you need to be?

I will have the bylaws checked; by "rid", we are looking for no vote on the Board of Directors. The person is still a member of the asociation.

I will have the bylaws checked; by "rid", we are looking for no vote on the Board of Directors. The person is still a member of the asociation.

Perhaps you need to determine if .... this person ... (oh, can't you tell us?).... still remains on the BoD after resigning from office. I'm not sure how every organization does it, but in mine, there's no room for quitters. If the President resigns, he .... or she.... is off the Board completely. But your bylaws (or other governing documents) need to be consulted for the answer there. Perhaps you're more rid than you know?

Perhaps you need to determine if .... this person ... (oh, can't you tell us?).... still remains on the BoD after resigning from office. I'm not sure how every organization does it, but in mine, there's no room for quitters. If the President resigns, he .... or she.... is off the Board completely.

But your board doesn't have an Immediate Past President then, I take it.

Nope. Oh, I'm sure our last president could be considered the IPP, but all that gets her... or him... is a hearty handshake on the way out the door.

Why - do you think we should "have one?" :huh:

Absolutely not. I'm just suggesting that the practice in your board may not be relevant to interpreting this question.

I think Mr. Giroux is quickly discovering why many of the regulars on this forum (myself included) advise against giving the IPP any official status in the Bylaws.

Absolutely not. I'm just suggesting that the practice in your board may not be relevant to interpreting this question.

I think Mr. Giroux is quickly discovering why many of the regulars on this forum (myself included) advise against giving the IPP any official status in the Bylaws.

Well, I suspect the answer to his original question is an unqualified "yes", particularly because Mr. Giroux did not (although perhaps not unintentionally) capitalize the term Past President, (nor use the term Immediate) thus imbuing it with any special meaning. And he mentioned no official status beyond implying (in a subsequent post) that this person may still be on the Board of Directors with vote.

I was simply suggesting that if the bylaws (etc) don't confer on the Past President any special or additional powers, duties, or rights, then that person is most likely just another member now, with all the rights thereof, and nothing more. Much as our "past president" has.

Some organizations will allow the Immediate Past President to remain on the Board until the current President leaves office - but that would have to be specified in the By-laws. Otherwise, once the President resigns, he/she is no longer a member of the Board. The person will once again go back to being a regular member of the organization (if his/her dues are paid up) or will simply leave the organization if he/she is not a paid up member of the organization.

Otherwise, once the President resigns, he/she is no longer a member of the Board.

Nothing in RONR requires that the president be a member of the board. That is, one could resign as president and still remain on the board. Conversely, one could resign from the board and still be president. Any ex-officio inter-connection would have to be specified in the bylaws. The default is that there is no connection.

I stand corrected - however, many organizations will automatically make their Officers members of the Board for two reasons - it is practical (they have the same rights and responsibilities as a director when it comes to a meeting), and that the Officers will know what they will have to do if at the meeting. Thus, if someone resigns from an Officer position, they are automatically off the Board. But I know that many organizations do allow for directors to hold Officer positions, thus to resign as an Officer is not the sames as resigning as a director - thus the individual will still be a member of the Board.

Archived