The Official RONR Q & A Forums

do same rules apply to changing rules as to changing by-laws?

Guest quilter

we're reviewing our rules and regulations of the club and there was a discussion as to if the same notifications have to be sent to all members as with changing By-Laws.

If the default rules in RONR apply, notifications do not "have" to be sent in either case.

As to whether or not notification will have exactly the same effect upon the vote necessary for adoption depends upon the nature of the "rules and regulations" to be amended.

Unless provided for by statute, rules and by-laws should include a rule or by-law with regards to how they will be amended, added to (i.e. a new rule or by-law), and how to eliminate. For example, a rule may only require a majority vote (i.e. more that half the votes casts), whereas the By-laws may require a 2/3 majority or a majority of the entire membership.

Unless provided for by statute, rules and by-laws should include a rule or by-law with regards to how they will be amended, added to (i.e. a new rule or by-law), and how to eliminate.

Both adding and eliminating are forms of amendment. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 129, lines 1-8) Additionally, it's not really necessary for an assembly to include rules as to how special rules of order or standing rules may be amended unless the assembly wishes to deviate from the rules of RONR, as rules are already included for amendment of these types of rules. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 15, lines 23-25; pg. 17, lines 28-31; pg. 18, lines 1-8) The text does recommend that the Bylaws include an article on amendment, however. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 562, lines 9-10; pg. 573, lines 31-32)

Archived