The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording of Email Votes by Board

Guest Judy

How should the results of an email vote of Board members on a motion be recorded? Is it recorded as a motion in the next set of minutes?

RONR does not support any form of absentee voting so you're pretty much on your own. Do your bylaws permit voting by e-mail?

As far as RONR is concerned, the minutes record what was done at a meeting, not before (or after).

I thought that the latest revision carried information related to use of email. I actually have a copy of the book but am just unable to locate it. And per legal advice, given that our by-laws do not specify that Board votes must be in person, we have been advised that email votes of Board of Directors decisions are acceptable. I think we're all going to have to move to the 21st century, including ROR. Most business decisions are now made electronically rather than in person.

I thought that the latest revision carried information related to use of email. I actually have a copy of the book but am just unable to locate it. And per legal advice, given that our by-laws do not specify that Board votes must be in person, we have been advised that email votes of Board of Directors decisions are acceptable. I think we're all going to have to move to the 21st century, including ROR. Most business decisions are now made electronically rather than in person.

Your organization is free to move to the 21st century and endorse absentee voting but don't expect RONR to join you in that journey (though it does make a passing reference to teleconferencing). As for your legal advice, that's not what a parliamentarian would advise.

In any event, you might find these articles helpful:

http://www.aipparl.org/pdf/AIPemeet5.PDF

Take a look at RONR (10th ed.), p. 2, footnote.

Also, it is a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that voting is limited to members who are actually present at a legal meeting when the vote is taken, RONR (10th ed.), pp. 408-409. Unless specifically authorized in the bylaws, a vote cast by an absentee is recorded as an illegal vote by an illegal voter.

Archived