The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting restriction

Guest Ruth

A member of a local hobby club has come forth with a set of bylaws she claims to be bylaws approved by the membership, although no one has seen them before and they have not operated under those bylaws for the 4 years of the clubs existance.

These discovered bylaws state that no member may vote unless they have attended a minimum of 3 meetings in the current year.

That is being interpreted that 1) no one can vote on anything until 1 April as memberships start /renew on 1 Jan. and 2) All members who vote have to have their attendance verufied on every vote.

Can a member in good sdtanding be denied a vote?

( Please, I am only the messenger on this one!!)

Ruth

A member of a local hobby club has come forth with a set of bylaws she claims to be bylaws approved by the membership, although no one has seen them before and they have not operated under those bylaws for the 4 years of the clubs existance.

You'll find your bylaws in the minutes of your organization's meetings.

The answer to your question is, yes, assuming the restriction is part of the bylaws.

But are you really going to take the word of 1 member, without documented backup from your society's minutes?

Of course not! Even though she is a mighty fighter! This, of course, stems from a vote taken when she was abscent, that she does not agree with, so is trying to make it illegal.

I am surprised a vote can be denied to a member in good standing. Can you tell me where to find info on this so I have it for future reference?

Thank you!

Of course not! Even though she is a mighty fighter! This, of course, stems from a vote taken when she was abscent, that she does not agree with, so is trying to make it illegal.

I am surprised a vote can be denied to a member in good standing. Can you tell me where to find info on this so I have it for future reference?

Thank you!

No rule in Robert's Rules allow a denial of a vote, so the only place possible to put such a denial of rights is in the bylaws, and apparently you guys haven't done that.

Archived