The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Draft Minutes Distribution

Guest Anna

Our club holds two meetings yearly for the general membership and the Board of Directors meets every 2-3 months. As secretary, I send each board member a draft copy of the Board minutes to review before the next meeting. Recently, there's been some negative "hoopla" that the Board is dealing with and a couple of general members tell me they are entitled to see the draft minutes before the next meeting. Our by-laws don't address this. I have refused to release the draft minutes as they are not 'approved' or 'official'. I may have missed something and that will be amended at the next meeting. So no, I'm not passing them out.

My interpretation of Robert's Rules, novice that I am, is that a member is NOT entitled to get draft copies of a Board meeting, only a general meeting. After the Board approves the minutes, then it is up to the Board to say whether these people can read the minutes. Any other interpretations or advice here? Thank you.

The organization's By-laws, or appropriate legislation, may allow the general membership to view (and receive a copy of) the Minutes of Board meetings. While normally not extending to the draft version of Minutes, if the Board only meets every two or three months, it may be practical to allow a general member to view the draft copy, as long as "DRAFT" is clearly written on them - the last time I checked, you can get a stamp for the word "DRAFT" at the dollarstore.

Archived