The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Roll call vote

Guest farmersdaughter

Guest farmersdaughter

Our current POA allows members to attend board meetings , often the President will ask the members in attendance if they had a thought on the matter at hand. Several board members moved at the last board meeting to not allow any member to speak even if ask by the president to speak. Against the presidents wishes the motion passed. With that said I need to go about asking for all votes to be roll call votes as we the membership can see who votes as we would want them to vote. Our by laws do not address this and we have been assured that we would not be recognized at any board meetings in the future.

I need to go about asking for all votes to be roll call votes as we the membership can see who votes as we would want them to vote.

Well, if that's what you need to do, then you'll need to amend the bylaws to require that all board votes be roll-call votes. You could also amend to the bylaws to state that all members of the association have the right to attend and speak at all board meetings.

Just be careful what you wish for.

First, only members of the Board have a right to speak at Board meetings.

Second, the membership, at it's next meeting, can adopt a motion requiring the Board to vote by roll call. Previous notice and a 2/3 vote will be required to adopt the motion.

That said, do you really want to tie the board up by requiring a roll call vote on a motion to recess/adjourn/and other simple procedural motions?

Guest farmerdaughter

No we dont want to tie up the board on simple votes as adjournment. However on issues of how they are spending the money and on other issue that effect th POA it is important to know who is voting for the betterment of the POA and who is working on a personal adgenda. There is a by-law committe however we(the membership) cant seem to get on the committee as the board appoints them. It is mainly made up by the spouses of the board members as a result nothing seems to get changed that would make the board responsible to the membership.

Guest farmersdaughter

Oh if it was only that easy!! Our by-laws allow the committe to gather the ballots in person. If a member does not return their ballot the committee can go to the home of the member to get the ballot. I have been told that if the ballot is not filled out the committe can help the member fill out the ballot. It is my understand that the committee will tell the member who to vote for if they dont know. I dont know this for a fact this is just what I have been told. Most of our members are eldery who dont keep up in business of the POA and vote for the firmilar name. All of the current board are 3 and some 4 generation board members. I am working hard to get appointed to some committees to get some exposure and plan to run for an office next election. So are you saying in a membership meeting we can make a motion to handle this or does it have to add to in the by-laws. I dont mean to be difficult however I need to get it right the first meeting if I dont I will not be able to get it done. The board will shake the bushes to get enough ppls at the next membership meeting to vote against the motion.

So are you saying in a membership meeting we can make a motion to handle this or does it have to add to in the by-laws. I dont mean to be difficult however I need to get it right the first meeting if I dont I will not be able to get it done. The board will shake the bushes to get enough ppls at the next membership meeting to vote against the motion.

It could be adopted as a special rule of order. As noted, this requires a 2/3 vote and previous notice (or a vote of a majority of the entire membership).

So I would say. I move to ,"Propose a special rule of order to require the Board to vote on all main motions by roll call"

I would say "adopt" rather than "propose," but other than that, your suggested wording sounds fine.

Archived