The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vice president quits by email

Guest Homer

The Vice President of our club quit by email and sent it to all of the members of our club. He has now requested a board meeting which will be held three days after his email. Since he quit, should he be considered a non voting non member of the club at this meeting?

Thank you

The Vice President of our club quit by email and sent it to all of the members of our club.

He has now requested a board meeting which will be held three days after his email.

Since he quit, should he be considered a non voting non member of the club at this meeting?

He is a voting member.

You cannot resign by sending emails.

He is a voting member.

Why not? RONR says resignations are submitted - normally in writing - to the secretary or appointing power. I'd say that sending an email to the entire membership counts as submission. I believe we've even had posts referring to oral submissions of resignations being "okay". No business is being conducted by email here, so why does this not work? RONR citation would be appreciated.

The Vice President of our club quit by email and sent it to all of the members of our club. He has now requested a board meeting which will be held three days after his email. Since he quit, should he be considered a non voting non member of the club at this meeting?

Thank you

He is still a member and Vice President because his resignation has not yet been accepted.

He is a voting member.

Presumably the "...secretary or appointing power..." received a copy of the email, so I am inclined to think that he has submitted his resignation properly. There is no rule prohibiting a resignation being submitted by an email. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 279, ll. 10-13.

Indeed, and upon reflection I suppose that was the subtext of KG's last line that I was questioning.

That is right. - I was implying that "No one is out of office, just because a piece of paper (or, a stream of electrons) went from Point A to Point B."

Resignations are not unilateral. - Nothing has happened in any official capacity.

But that would have made my answer longer. :(

And you know how much we all hate to type. :)

Archived