The Official RONR Q & A Forums

attending board meetings

Guest Taffy

My question is, when a member gets on the board by acclimation. Should he be attending meetings. this is what happened, member got in by acclimation, the next day there was a membership meeting, he didn't attend and will be away for 2 months.

My question is, when a member gets on the board by acclimation. Should he be attending meetings. this is what happened, member got in by acclimation, the next day there was a membership meeting, he didn't attend and will be away for 2 months.

A board member who is elected by acclamation has the same rights and duties as any other board member. If he is not performing his duties and you wish to remove him from office, see FAQ #20.

Is this the question? I ask because you didn't put a "?" at the end (or anywhere), so I'm wondering if this was your question.

I dare say it's an expectation of any and all members to attend some or most meetings, although there will be times when life will get in the way. Should he be attending? Well, that's a part of membership to a degree, isn't it? MUST he attend? That's up to your organization and governing rules to determine. If there's nothing in there that says "Any member who misses even one single meeting shall be dis-membered", then you'll have to decide for yourself if this guy has actually violated one of your rules.

Now, you say he is a member who got elected to the Board by acclamation. The next day there was a membership meeting and he didn't attend. Well, at "membership" meetings the "Board" is not present in that capacity. Board members who are members of the organization are there as members, not as Board people. So his absence has nothing to do with his status on the Board anyway.

This sounds more political and less parliamentary, to me.

Archived