The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership approval of dues decreases

Guest Ron Motto

Our Club bylaws dictate that "The amount of dues applicable to all Senior Voting Members shall be determined by the vote of a majority of Senior Voting Members present at a Senior Voting Membership meeting" Does the Board of Directors have the authority to "lower" these dues without a vote of the membership?

I cannot get into the interpretation of a particular society's bylaws on this forum, but I can say that an executive board has only those powers prescribed for it in the bylaws or by an action of the general membership assembly with respect to a particular matter referred to the board with power. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 465, ll. 26-30.

Our Club bylaws dictate that "The amount of dues applicable to all Senior Voting Members shall be determined by the vote of a majority of Senior Voting Members present at a Senior Voting Membership meeting" Does the Board of Directors have the authority to "lower" these dues without a vote of the membership?

I think this is more an English language question than a parliamentary procedure question. It boils down to 'the amount of dues shall be determined by [X].' It doesn't say that only increases in dues are subject to procedure X. Moreover, the procedure, and who is to perform it, seem clearly defined. That's assuming your bylaws define what a 'Senior Voting Membership meeting' is, and who 'Senior Voting Members' are.

If there is any ambiguity in the bylaws, interpretation is the responsibility of the organization. See RONR pp. 570-573 for some principles of bylaws interpretation.

Archived