The Official RONR Q & A Forums

deception when voting on motion

Guest fania

What happens when the President pretends to have a signed proxy but doesn't and the vote goes her way. Is the vote considered null and void once the evidence of what she has done has surfaced?

If you have proof that an illegal vote could have affected the outcome you should raise a point of order at the next meeting.

If you think it's time for a new president, see FAQ #20.

What happens when the President pretends to have a signed proxy but doesn't and the vote goes her way. Is the vote considered null and void once the evidence of what she has done has surfaced?

And why does the Secretary not have a copy of the proxy at the time of the election? Any failure to present documentation in advance is just wrong. The proxie should have been validated prior to the election by the Credentials Committee.

I have another problem with this scenario: As the Chair is supposed to remain impartial and only vote to break a tie, the idea that the Chair is waving around proxies...those ought to be presented and read into the record by again, Credentials.

It frightens me when people are responsible for duties and then sit in the back and drink coffee.

And why does the Secretary not have a copy of the proxy at the time of the election? Any failure to present documentation in advance is just wrong. The proxie should have been validated prior to the election by the Credentials Committee.

I have another problem with this scenario: As the Chair is supposed to remain impartial and only vote to break a tie, the idea that the Chair is waving around proxies...those ought to be presented and read into the record by again, Credentials.

It frightens me when people are responsible for duties and then sit in the back and drink coffee.

Victor, the problem (as we've seen often here) is that members of so many organizations do not truly know or understand what the (RONR/parliamentary) rules are, and so the "leaders" bully and pull shenanigans like this until someone like Fania says "Hey.... wait a minute....." and stops by the forum. Every day, the esteemed contributors here manage to set another wayward group gently on course to parliamentary order and steer them away from the coffee pot. Not to mention sales of RONR In Brief will likely put it on the Best Seller list this year.

Victor, the problem (as we've seen often here) is that members of so many organizations do not truly know or understand what the (RONR/parliamentary) rules are, and so the "leaders" bully and pull shenanigans like this until someone like Fania says "Hey.... wait a minute....." and stops by the forum. Every day, the esteemed contributors here manage to set another wayward group gently on course to parliamentary order and steer them away from the coffee pot. Not to mention sales of RONR In Brief will likely put it on the Best Seller list this year.

The way I cured this with "experts" on RONR was to ask them to show me that they were correct and after they ranted about what "everyone knows", I then showed them they were incorrect with my copy. It took a few times but they got the hint that they were not omnipotent in parliamentary law.

The way I cured this with "experts" on RONR was to ask them to show me that they were correct and after they ranted about what "everyone knows", I then showed them they were incorrect with my copy. It took a few times but they got the hint that they were not omnipotent in parliamentary law.

It Works!!! :D (it is great advice) Thanks for sharing.

• 4 months later...

Our credentials Committee submitted their report on our voting strength, we made some changes to the report and then voted to approve the report. We then held an election for VP, 2 people were running. When the President read the results of the election, the loser then challenged the credentials of one of our members. This member was then not allowed to vote. Am I correct in assuming that once the Credentials have been approved there can't be any challenge? Help.

Archived