The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting

Guest Donald

Our association of 50 members is soon to be voting on an issue which according to our bylaws "requires a 2/3 vote of the entire membership" to pass. A quorum is defined in our bylaws as 26 members. If my math is correct, 34 affermative votes will be required for the issue to pass.

The question: If only 30 members show and vote on the issue am I correct in saying that issue would not pass even if all in attendence voted affermatively?

George is right, but I'd be inclined to agree with you if I had any say in the matter. :)

The phrase "a 2/3 vote of the membership" is inherently ambiguous, but I think the phrase "a 2/3 vote of the entire membership" rather clearly refers to a vote of 2/3 (not just a 2/3 vote) of the entire membership.

George is right, but I'd be inclined to agree with you if I had any say in the matter. :)

The phrase "a 2/3 vote of the membership" is inherently ambiguous, but I think the phrase "a 2/3 vote of the entire membership" rather clearly refers to a vote of 2/3 (not just a 2/3 vote) of the entire membership.

I was trying to say what Dan said but deleted the post twice. He's a handy guy to have around. ;)

Archived