The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting

Guest Kyle S

Can a board make a motion and vote on an item not on the agenda? Those directly affected had no warning of this action and were not able to have their voices heard. I like to call it ambush voting...

Since an agenda for a meeting isn't official unless it is adopted by the assembly at the outset of the meeting (see the answer to FAQ #14), how can this be a problem?

My example

It is for a youth sports association. A board meeting was held for normal business, then out of the blue(for lack of a better term), a board member made a motion to have an "A" team vs. a "B" team for a certain level of play, nobody had a chance to discuss this matter with previous years coaches, existing parents were not informed of this vote. It has been preceived all along that the assoc. would be having a "B" team.. I'm just frustrated that this vote was taken without people being allowed to do their homework before making a descsion and for those affected not being able to have their voices heard.

The motion was defeated 4-3

Thanks

My example

It is for a youth sports association. A board meeting was held for normal business, then out of the blue(for lack of a better term), a board member made a motion to have an "A" team vs. a "B" team for a certain level of play, nobody had a chance to discuss this matter with previous years coaches, existing parents were not informed of this vote. It has been preceived all along that the assoc. would be having a "B" team.. I'm just frustrated that this vote was taken without people being allowed to do their homework before making a descsion and for those affected not being able to have their voices heard.

Thanks

Well, especially since the motion was defeated, there really shouldn't be any ongoing problem. A motion which is defeated can simply be brought again (and again, and again) at future meetings, as if it had never been made before. If more information and deliberation is needed, the organization could also choose to form a committee to study the matter and make recommendations.

Can a board make a motion and vote on an item not on the agenda?

Yes.

There is no such rule which implies, "Everything must first appear on an agenda."

See "new business" under "order of business" in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.).

Those directly affected had no warning of this action and were not able to have their voices heard. I like to call it ambush voting.

There is no rule in Robert's Rules of Order which requires "warning" except for those things which require previous notice.

If something is "sprung" unexpectedly, then either (a.) vote it down; (b.) refer it to a committee.

You are under no obligation to support "sprung" items.

Again, in RONR, see "new business" under "order of business."

See also "agenda".

My example

It is for a youth sports association. A board meeting was held for normal business, then out of the blue(for lack of a better term), a board member made a motion to have an "A" team vs. a "B" team for a certain level of play,

In a board meeting, board members are entitled to make motions out of the blue or from any other place. There is no rule that says a board member must alert anyone of an Original Main Motion.

nobody had a chance to discuss this matter with previous years coaches, existing parents were not informed of this vote.

If you mean board members didn't have to prepare for the vote, the board, by a majority vote could have (1) postponed the question, (2) referred the question to a committee, or (3) voted against it. Apparently they opted for number 3.

It has been preceived all along that the assoc. would be having a "B" team.. I'm just frustrated that this vote was taken without people being allowed to do their homework before making a descsion and for those affected not being able to have their voices heard.

It may be unwise for the board not to solicit the input of those who will be affected by its decisions, but only the votes of the board members carry any weight in a board meeting. However, the board is subordinate to the society and has only the power given to it by the society, and it cannot take any action that conflicts with the assembly of the society. Perhaps the assembly of the society will want to straighten this out in a regular or properly called meeting, by deciding the question, instead of just perceiving it.

Now might be a good time to research it and talk to the board members to have your voice heard. Perhaps the members of the society will want to take action. Check your bylaws to see if Special Meeting of the society are authorized and if you can arrange for one to be called to decide the issue.

Archived