The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Procedures

Guest Nancy Hurren

I have a question regarding committee procedure. Our dog club board passed a motion in January, 2008, appointing a committee to explore moving the venue for our National specialty show. That committee submitted its report to the board in April, 2009. The Board then passed two motions in April, 2009 which read as follows:

Motion: I move that the Venue Committee be reconstructed to include those members from the current committee plus one member for rally/obedience, one for agility and one for earthdog to provide a report to the Board that gives two alternatives: Montgomery and one additional venue. This report is to give full details of what is required to stay or move, including costs, local support requirements, etc. to be presented to the membership for a vote. McNabney/Hill. Vote 8/4 opposed Jacobsen, Prince, Lounsbury, Bartholomew. Motion carries.

Motion: to empower the President to choose the three additional members for the Venue Committee. McNabney / Hill/ 12/1/ Motion carries.

However, the Board never took any action to notify the original committee that they were being reappointed; this committee has never made a report to the Board; the issue has not been presented to the membership for a vote; and this committee was never dismissed by the Board. The current President has now appointed a new chair to head the venue committee, and the person she has appointed has asked for volunteers to work on the committee.

The club's official year begins each October after our annual meeting.

The language in our By-Laws regarding committees reads as follows:

Section 1. The Board shall each year appoint such standing committees as needed to advance the operation of the Club or to aid the Board on particular projects. Such committees shall always be subject to the final authority of the Board.

Section 2. Any committee appointment may be terminated by a majority vote of the full membership of the Board upon full written notice to the appointee; and the Board may appoint successors to thos persons whose service has been terminated.

It seems the current Board wants to totally ignore the motions which were passed regarding this committee and appoint a completely new committee.

My questions are:

1. Considering what our by-laws state, can the President appoint a committee chair and can the committee chair choose who can work on the committee.

2. What happens with the motions which were passed in April, 2009, which are being completely ignored by the present Board.

Thank you for consideration of this matter.

I have a question regarding committee procedure.

Our dog club board passed a motion in January, 2008, appointing a committee to explore moving the venue for our National specialty show.

That committee submitted its report to the board in April, 2009.

The Board then passed two motions in April, 2009 which read as follows:

Motion: I move that the Venue Committee be reconstructed to include those members from the current committee plus one member for rally/obedience, one for agility and one for earthdog to provide a report to the Board that gives two alternatives: Montgomery and one additional venue. This report is to give full details of what is required to stay or move, including costs, local support requirements, etc. to be presented to the membership for a vote. McNabney/Hill. Vote 8/4 opposed Jacobsen, Prince, Lounsbury, Bartholomew. Motion carries.

Summed up to the basic elements:

"Committee V re-populated to include all previous members;

plus one from column A, one from column B, one from column C;

to research Topic T;

and report out to the gen. mem."

Okay. - Nothing wrong with that.

Motion: to empower the President to choose the three additional members for the Venue Committee. McNabney / Hill/ 12/1/ Motion carries.

Okay. President gets to add 3 more people to the committee. - No restrictions on WHO.

However, the Board never took any action to notify the original committee that they were being reappointed; this committee has never made a report to the Board; the issue has not been presented to the membership for a vote; and this committee was never dismissed by the Board.

The current President has now appointed a new chair to head the venue committee, and the person she has appointed has asked for volunteers to work on the committee.

The club's official year begins each October after our annual meeting.

The language in our By-Laws regarding committees reads as follows:

Section 1. The Board shall each year appoint such standing committees as needed to advance the operation of the Club or to aid the Board on particular projects. Such committees shall always be subject to the final authority of the Board.

Section 2. Any committee appointment may be terminated by a majority vote of the full membership of the Board upon full written notice to the appointee; and the Board may appoint successors to those persons whose service has been terminated.

It seems the current Board wants to totally ignore the motions which were passed regarding this committee and appoint a completely new committee.

My questions are:

Q1. Considering what our bylaws state,

#1. can the President appoint a committee chair, and

#2. can the committee chair choose who can work on the committee.

Two answers.

1. No (i.e., your bylaws never grant your P the power to appoint committee chairs. Your cited Sections 1 and 2 never even mention any president).

2. No (i.e., no rule of yours grants committee chairs the power to select the members of their committees. - In fact, your own cited rule says that your BOARD has 100% control.)

Q2. What happens with the motions which were passed in April, 2009, which are being completely ignored by the present Board?

I don't know. They (your entire board) dropped the ball. The motions still await fulfillment. What is stopping the board NOW from fulfilling the adopted motion(s)? Why doesn't someone remind the board that there are two outstanding motions awaiting execution?

(You might as well blame the P likewise, who does the extra appointing. - Where is your P in all this shameful dereliction of duty?)

Summed up to the basic elements:

"Committee V re-populated to include all previous members;

plus one from column A, one from column B, one from column C;

to research Topic T;

and report out to the gen. mem."

Okay. - Nothing wrong with that.

Okay. President gets to add 3 more people to the committee. - No restrictions on WHO.

Two answers.

1. No (i.e., your bylaws never grant your P the power to appoint committee chairs. Your cited Sections 1 and 2 never even mention any president).

2. No (i.e., no rule of yours grants committee chairs the power to select the members of their committees. - In fact, your own cited rule says that your BOARD has 100% control.)

I don't know. They (your entire board) dropped the ball. The motions still await fulfillment. What is stopping the board NOW from fulfilling the adopted motion(s)? Why doesn't someone remind the board that there are two outstanding motions awaiting execution?

(You might as well blame the P likewise, who does the extra appointing. - Where is your P in all this shameful dereliction of duty?)

I have reminded the Board that these outstanding motions exist. Their response was that an ad hoc committee was being reformed. My position with the Board has been that they have already appointed a committee that has not performed its function and they should not be starting all over again until something is done with the outstanding motions. I guess my question is what is the status of the outstanding motions that have not been executed.

Archived