The Official RONR Q & A Forums

orginization's goal statement as stated in the bylaws

celia

our orginization's goal statement is a part of our bylaws. The director of our center, who is not herself a board member, publishes a newsletter for the orginization with a version of the goal statement that is very inaccurate. What is the proper action the board must take to stop this. The director is not employed by the board but she is supposed to follow our direction.I want her to put the correct goal statement on the newsletter.

Our orginization's goal statement is a part of our bylaws.

The director of our center, who is not herself a board member, publishes a newsletter for the organization with a version of the goal statement that is very inaccurate.

What is the proper action the board must take to stop this?

The director is not employed by the board but she is supposed to follow our direction.

I want her to put the correct goal statement on the newsletter.

Confusing - Director is not employed by the board. Yet you think the Director is supposed to follow your (?) direction.

Q. Who is he party referred to by the word "your" - is it the board of the organization? Are YOU a board member?

Q. Since "she is supposed to follow our direction" then why don't you provide the direction for her to follow?

Q. Why wouldn't your newsletter-related "direction" be obeyed?

Confusing - Director is not employed by the board. Yet you think the Director is supposed to follow your (?) direction.

Q. Who is he party referred to by the word "your" - is it the board of the organization? Are YOU a board member?

Q. Since "she is supposed to follow our direction" then why don't you provide the direction for her to follow?

Q. Why wouldn't your newsletter-related "direction" be obeyed?

Yes I am a board member.

The director has not yet been given any direction concerning this matter.

I am new to this and am asking how to go about giving that direction.

Does it need to be done as a motion and then be voted on?

She pretty much does what she likes unless we put our foot down. So how do we legally put our foot down?

Yes I am a board member.

I am new to this and am asking how to go about giving that direction.

Does it need to be done as a motion and then be voted on?

She pretty much does what she likes unless we put our foot down. So how do we legally put our foot down?

The director is to follow the direction of the board because that is part of her employment contract. She takes direction from the board of directors.

At a regular meeting, move to adopt the following rule, or something like this:

"Each edition of the newsletter shall include the goal statement of this organization with the precise wording given in the bylaws."

Is this to be done in the form of a motion that the board must vote on?

If not how then. Is there a reference in RRO that i can refer to?

Is this to be done in the form of a motion that the board must vote on?

Yes.

Of course the board must vote on it. - How else will directions come out of a board, except by those motions which are officially adopted?

• "Directions" don't appear magically out of thin air.

• Newsletter editors do not read minds.

The director is to follow the direction of the board because that is part of her employment contract. She takes direction from the board of directors.

Well! There you go!

Until the board creates a policy relating (a.) "goal statement"; and (b.) "newsletters", there is no policy to follow.

There is no rule being violated. There is no guideline to follow.

What is the proper action the board must take to stop this.

Adopt a new policy. Have the board vote on a new rule to be obeyed by all newsletter editors.

Analogy:

It is like the mother of Dennis the Menace wondering why Dennis draws with crayons on the wall of the living room. - Little Dennis has never been told it is wrong, and never been told to stop doing it.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

- Edmund Burke

"All that is necessary for newsletter editors to keep getting the goal statement wrong is for the board to say nothing."

-Kim Goldsworthy

our orginization's goal statement is a part of our bylaws. The director of our center, who is not herself a board member, publishes a newsletter for the orginization with a version of the goal statement that is very inaccurate. What is the proper action the board must take to stop this. The director is not employed by the board but she is supposed to follow our direction.I want her to put the correct goal statement on the newsletter.

You could convene the Board in executive session for a special meeting, hold a (secret) ballot vote, and establish a Special Committee to investigate the matter. Or......Perhaps if you just told her what the goal statement should be. You know..... talk to her? ;)

.....Perhaps if you just told her what the goal statement should be. You know..... talk to her? ;)

In view of Celia's description of the director's modus operandi, I think a motion, voted upon by the board, would be a good way to go. That makes it clear what direction is being provided, and that the direction is being provided by the board (not just a private request from an individual board member). Celia, I believe you were asking for citations from RONR, but it's a little hard to know where to start, since the use of motions to take action is so fundamental to the rules governing deliberative assemblies. Were you hoping for something specific to newsletters, or goal statements, or the relationship of the board to the director??

I was basically wanting to know what to do. We have brought it up to her in another meeting but she continues to print it as is. That is why I wanted to know where to go from here. All of you on the forum are extremly helpful to me. I am a very new board member. I've never served on a board befor this one. Untill I started i didn't even know that RRO even existed. With all of your help I am learning and I think I am a pretty good board member. One year I have been on this board. I am really appreciative for all the help I get from all of you.

Archived