The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Amending bylaws

DonW

Our new board consisting of officers with short tenure on the board with our organization are reviewing bylaws. Among other issues I have is that our current bylaws state that our membership must approve any bylaws amendments. That said, I would appreciate any comments on the following section regarding amendments in the proposed bylaws:

Section 1 – Amendments: These bylaws shall be reviewed annually and may be amended , altered, changed, added to, or repealed by affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) majority of the Board of Directors at any meeting of the Board, provided that a twenty (20) day notice of such proposed amendment is sent to each Board Member.

To me this is giving the board way too much power!

What works well for one organization is totally ill advised for another. This is totally a question for your membership to decide.

Note, however, that if the amendment is approved, the BOD could extend their terms of office to life and provide salaries for their work from the treasury and remove any right of the membership to "interfere."

Note, also, that only a 1/3 "no" vote is required to defeat amendments to the bylaws. If you feel negatively inclined to their suggestion, get to work organizing.

-Bob

Section 1 – Amendments: These bylaws shall be reviewed annually and may be amended , altered, changed, added to, or repealed by affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) majority of the Board of Directors at any meeting of the Board, provided that a twenty (20) day notice of such proposed amendment is sent to each Board Member.

"That is the question."

-- Hamlet

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who watches the watchdogs?)

-- the Roman poet Juvenal

"The saying has since been used to explore the question of where ultimate power should reside, or alternately, the problem of ultimate power. Some forms of government attempt to solve this problem through separation of powers (the government of the United States is one example). As long as the "watchers" are a small and potentially corruptible group, the question asked is a sort of paradox, and perhaps an example of infinite regress."

-- wikipedia

I sure would.

"may be amended , altered, changed, added to, or repealed ..." sounds like you have a lawyer or two on the bylaws re-writing committee. Real parliamentarians don't talk like that, because we know, in a parliamentary context, that it isn't necessary - RONR, p. 564.

(Besides, we don't get paid by the word - we aren't pulp science fiction writers.)

Our new board consisting of officers with short tenure on the board with our organization are reviewing bylaws. Among other issues I have is that our current bylaws state that our membership must approve any bylaws amendments. That said, I would appreciate any comments on the following section regarding amendments in the proposed bylaws:

DonDon, whatever is going on over there? Who's crazy suggestion is this one? Do they even offer any rationale for making this change? Muster the troops. Talk it up. Get your more-than-1/3 of members to vote this down, and any other bad ideas, while you still have the power. Then read Chapter XX in The Book.

Archived