The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Impeachment

Guest Jamie Sylvester

Guest Jamie Sylvester

I am new to Robert's Rules and I am sort of stuck. I am a member of an organization that is trying to impeach a member and we need to know if that member is allowed to vote at his own impeachment meeting.

Please let me know!

Thank you. ;)

I am a member of an organization that is trying to impeach a member and we need to know if that member is allowed to vote at his own impeachment meeting.

If you follow the disciplinary process of Chapter XX Section 61 in RONR, then the member cannot vote.

And, if you do it your own unique way, not following RONR, then anything goes.

Although "impeachment" isn't described in RONR - it is a fancy (legislative) term for indict - the text of Chapter 20 suggests that until the charges against someone are actually drawn up and delivered to the person in question he is free to voe on all questions. See p. 637.

Since an "impeachment", i.e., drawing up those charges, comes before the trial on the charges, it would seem that he can vote at an "impeachment meeting".

Although "impeachment" isn't described in RONR - it is a fancy (legislative) term for indict - the text of Chapter 20 suggests that until the charges against someone are actually drawn up and delivered to the person in question he is free to vote on all questions. See p. 637.

Since an "impeachment", i.e., drawing up those charges, comes before the delivery and the trial on the charges, it would seem that he can vote at an "impeachment meeting".

The charges have already been drawn up we are having the meeting to vote to remove him based on the charges.

When you say you're new to Roberts' Rules, I'm not sure if you mean you have the book, or are just becoming experienced with parliamentary procedure. Your use of "impeachment meeting" suggests, at best, a blend of both scenarios, at worst, you're flying somewhat blind.

If you don't have the book, get it. As helpful as the many knowledgeable contributors here can (and will) be for you, you really should either go to the library or bookstore and get hands on RONR and read Chapter 20. Bring any lingering questions back here. I dare say you don't want to go forward with a trial if you don't know how to do it right, and leave yourself vulnerable in some fashion that is more harmful.

Good luck.

Archived