The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes format

Portcullischain

On July 14th we held a regular meeting of our Executive Board and concluded that we needed to meet again before the next regularly scheduled meeting for budget purposes. I moved that "when the meeting adjourns, it stand adjourned to meet Tuesday, July 20 at 7:00.". At that time, I explained to those present that this would be a "special" meeting for consideration of our operating budget only. The secretary noted this in the july 14th minutes.

My two questions are this.

1. My understanding is my motion provided for a continuation of the July 14th meeting instead of a separate "session?". Would the minutes reflect that by being on the same document or should I instruct the Secretary to provide a July 14th set and a separate July 20th set of minutes?
  2. Our bylaws do not provide for a "special" meeting and I understand that you can't have one unless they do so. I corrected my language by the time the meeting on the 20th rolled around but the error is still noted in her 14th minutes. They are scheduled to be read at our August meeting; should I correct my mistake or leave it the way it was?

Musically,

PC

On July 14th we held a regular meeting of our Executive Board and concluded that we needed to meet again before the next regularly scheduled meeting for budget purposes.

I moved that "when the meeting adjourns, it stand adjourned to meet Tuesday, July 20 at 7:00.".

At that time, I explained to those present that this would be a "special" meeting for consideration of our operating budget only.

Not true.

An adjourned meeting is a continuation of the regular meeting.

So, as a regular meeting, anything (even new business) could be brought up. That adjourned meeting is not limited to the budget item you mentioned.

My understanding is my motion provided for a continuation of the July 14th meeting instead of a separate "session?"

Correct. The adjourned meeting is a continuation of the same session (same order of business). It isn't a separate session (a separate order of business).

Our bylaws do not provide for a "special" meeting and I understand that you can't have one unless they do so.

Correct. Special meetings are not allowed, except as the bylaws provide.

On July 14th we held a regular meeting of our Executive Board and concluded that we needed to meet again before the next regularly scheduled meeting for budget purposes. I moved that "when the meeting adjourns, it stand adjourned to meet Tuesday, July 20 at 7:00.". At that time, I explained to those present that this would be a "special" meeting for consideration of our operating budget only. The secretary noted this in the july 14th minutes.

My two questions are this.

1. My understanding is my motion provided for a continuation of the July 14th meeting instead of a separate "session?". Would the minutes reflect that by being on the same document or should I instruct the Secretary to provide a July 14th set and a separate July 20th set of minutes?
  2. Our bylaws do not provide for a "special" meeting and I understand that you can't have one unless they do so. I corrected my language by the time the meeting on the 20th rolled around but the error is still noted in her 14th minutes. They are scheduled to be read at our August meeting; should I correct my mistake or leave it the way it was?

Musically,

PC

It sounds like the term you're looking for is an "adjourned meeting." You properly invoked the motion to set the time to which to adjourn. You also noted that, unless your organization's bylaws allow special meetings, you cannot have them.

See p90-91 regarding adjourned meetings.

An adjourned meeting is a continuation of the session that was meeting when you adjourned.

-Bob

The two are separate and distinct meetings of the same session, so two separate sets of minutes are prepared and approved. Since the motion seems not to have used the word "special", it shouldn't appear in the minutes, even if you used the word incorrectly during debate.

Rob,

Thanks, that answered everything I needed.

PC

Not true.

An adjourned meeting is a continuation of the regular meeting.

So, as a regular meeting, anything (even new business) could be brought up. That adjourned meeting is not limited to the budget item you mentioned.

Correct. The adjourned meeting is a continuation of the same session (same order of business). It isn't a separate session (a separate order of business).

Correct. Special meetings are not allowed, except as the bylaws provide.

Your point about new business is appreciated. I did call for any new business at the beginning of the 20th meeting for that very purpose. Thanks.

-PC

Archived